Can I install a 2.5" SSD in my Aspire A115-32

Best Answer

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Yes, WD Blues are a good choice for this laptop. You will need the SSD flat flexible cable to connect it to the mainboard. Google search part no. "50.A9BN2.001" for vendors who ship to your location. About $15usd. You can easily immobilize and protect the SSD inside the case with anti-static foam instead of adding more unnecessary screws and brackets. However, if you live in the US or CA, you can request a 2.5" SSD/HDD installation kit at this link.

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05
    zackattack05 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Appreciate the info AnhEZ28 and JackE. I Checked Google, but all places listed are not in the US so I was a little apprehensive to purchase through them. Then, I called Acer Customer Support. Was put on hold 3 separate times for 5 minutes each, only to be told they were out of stock. Then they gave me the number to their supplier. I called them, left a message, sent an email, no response. Guess I'll try calling Acer again today. Seems ridiculous to have to go through all this trouble for a $10-$15 part
  • JackE
    As long as you're in the US, you might try this link and request the 2.5" HDD/SSD installation kit. Might work.

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05

Tinkerer

Tried that first. It continues to error when I try to submit:

"There was a problem with your request....
    Part Number NX.A6WAA.002 is not valid for this form
    If you feel this is in error, you may contact Acer Support"

then I called them and the above is what happened. Not really sure what to do now
  • JackE
    >>>NX.A6WAA.002>>>

This is not the serial number id(SNID). Go to the elevated command prompt. Enter 'wmic bios get serialnumber'. The result is what you insert for the serial number.

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    @JackE - yep. I know. thats the weird thing.  And that's what I entered. Tried in both Chrome and Edge browsers. That's why it's so strange haha
  • JackE
    Still doesn't look like enough digits for an SNID. Should be about 20-22 digits. F2 at startup to enter the BIOS menu. Double-check the serial number listed on the BIOS INFORMATION page.

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05

Tinkerer

edited November 2021

Tried both the S/N and the SSID. Neither worked :(

​​​//Edited the content to hide serial number.
  • zackattack05

Tinkerer

Update --- Called Acer Support - was told that the part was out of stock with them. They gave me the number to their supplier (Capital Data). Called them, and left a message. Never got a call back. Re-engaged Acer Support via their chat functionality. An issue/ticket number was created to attempt to get the 2.5" docking kit, and they stated that a representative would be in contact to finalize the order. Representative called me on Wednesday, 11/10, and finally stated that my model does not support the HDD docking expansion. I questioned that, since it appears that there is space in the laptop for the expansion, and since initial Acer Support made it seem like it was a possibility. I additionally, after the initial conversation with Acer, purchased the 2.5" SSD as noted initially. So now, I suppose I'm stuck. Can anyone confirm in fact that the model I specified is unable to be upgraded?
  • JackE
    You only need the HDD FFC cable part no. 50.A9BN2.001, not a mounting kit. The HDD can be immobilized and protected inside the case with antistatic foam. I think you better remove 11 screws on the base cover and pry it open to double-check what's actually on your mainboard because the original specsheet shows the 2.5" HDD/SSD connector together with images of the bay and FFC cable next to the fan.

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05

Tinkerer

Thanks for the info Jack. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know. Much appreciated!
  • zackattack05

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    @JackE - Ordered Acer CABLE.HDD.FFC50.A9BN2.001 from:

Zand Group AB (556699-7010)
    Stationsgatan 16
    58242 Linköping, Sweden
    VAT SE556699701001

$43 USD of which like $27 USD was shipping. Says delivery within 2-4 weeks. I'll update this thread when it arrives. Thanks!

• JackE
    Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05

Tinkerer

@JackE - Ordered Acer CABLE.HDD.FFC50.A9BN2.001 from:

Zand Group AB (556699-7010)
    Stationsgatan 16
    58242 Linköping, Sweden
    VAT SE556699701001
    Tel (+46)13-31 60 34 (Monday to Friday: 8:00-12:00 and 13:00-16:00 CET)

$43 USD with like $27 of that being shipping. Delivery time says 2-4 weeks. I'll update this thread once it arrives. Thanks!
  • zackattack05

Tinkerer

Just to update the thread, should receive the part today. @JackE - As for the anti-static foam, do you have a specific link to one I should get? Just want to make sure i'm installing the correct one. Thanks!
  • JackE
    edited November 2021
    No special anti-static foam link. The anti-static foams and bubblewraps are used as packaging material to protect electronic instruments during shipment. New SSDs, HDDs are usually packaged immobilized and protected inside the shipping box with this foam. I never throw this material away. 

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05

Tinkerer

Oh I understand that, my question would be how to secure it to the laptop chassis? Since it's portable, I Imagine i'd need to actually secure it in the foam to the chassis. 
  • JackE
    You first connect the SSD in the chassis bay. Then you place the foam on top and on the sides of the SSD to immobilize it. Then you replace the bottom cover to complete the operation. It's  better and simpler than adding more weight, screws and a metal frame to the inside of an already  crowded portable laptop

Jack E/NJ

• zackattack05

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    @JackE -- Update -- Success!! Was able to install the hard drive, using a 1 TB SATA drive, the cable, and the anti-static foam. For anyone else who ever reads this, to recap:

I have an Aspire A115-32 (with a stock 256GB SATA HD)
    I ordered a 1 TB SATA HD (specifically - https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-1tb/p/N82E16820250088)
    I ordered a 2.5" connection cable (specifically - https://www.zandparts.com/en/acer-50-a9bn2-001)
    I ordered anti-static foam (specifically - https://www.amazon.com/Multicomp-Density-Non-Corrosive-305x305x6mm-2-Pieces/dp/B071G74PGW/ref=asc_df_B071G74PGW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=238209852912&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18368806264426604405&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004743&hvtargid=pla-393019821751&psc=1)

To install:
    I powered down my machine
    I unscrewed all screws from the bottom, and removed the cover
    I placed the hard drive in the location specified within the chasis
    I connected it to the motherboard using the specified cable (note -- be sure the cable clips securely into the cable housing. There is a very small latch that secures it to the motherboard. Be sure that this is secure and will not come out of the housing before re-closing the bottom of the laptop)
    I used a razor to cut the foam to place on the top and side of the hard drive (NOTE -- The foam is dense, so you have to squish it some in order to get the laptop cover back on)
    I then snapped the bottom cover back on
    I then re-screwed the cover

Powered the laptop back on, and we're good to go. Thanks for all the replies to this thread, and specifically @JackE for the quick replies and helpful answers. Much appreciated!