Old SSD full. How to reinstall OS in a new SSD?

Jokerxxl
Jokerxxl Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2021 in Predator Desktops
The old intel 600p 500 Gb SSD full. How to reinstall OS in a new intel 660p 2T SSD? 

I cleaned the hard drives and when I installed windows it didn't install it on the new ssd it also installed win on the old one. How do I turn the new SSD into an OS

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hello!!

@Jokerxxl

I understand that you would like to add new SSD to the unit and load OS in it. After adding the SSD in to the unit, I recommend you to go into BIOS and change the Boot Priority Order. The 1st Boot device should be the newly added SSD. Then you should be able to load OS to it and also boot the unit with new SSD. 

Hope this Helps!!

Regards, 
    Balatekie
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Jokerxxl

If you install Win again and the old SSD already removed , there is no way Win will be installed to the old drive. I think it is because you still have the old SSD connected, causing the BIOS booting to this old drive.

I think the best way for you is to use cloning software to clone everything to the new drive and then boot from there with the old drive removed.

If you have another external USB HDD/SSD or extra internal HDD/SSD you can use the Win 10 Create System Image method. You can create a system image to the extra drive, remove old drive, put in new one. When bootup, hold down ALT key ( or Fn+Alt keys), keep tapping F10 until you see the Restore Menu

Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>System Image Recovery 

Specify the drive with image stored, recover to the new drive (Will take a while)

Next boot will be to the new drive, without anything loss from the old drive.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    Easiest by far is to start with an external case for the new drive. Put the new drive in the case and plug it into one of the faster USB ports. Clone the existing drive to the new one using any of a bunch of different cloning packages (I used Macrium Reflect for my last one) making sure it only changes the partition size on the system partition (C:). Take the old drive out and put the new drive in the same slot. Boot up and verify everything is working, then put the old drive into the case and plug it in. Use Disk Management to wipe the old drive and set a new partition the full size and you now have an external data drive.
    You don't tell us what model Acer you have, so it's tough to tell if you are likely to run into any issues. The old drive is a 600P, which IIRC is an NVMe x4 drive, so the new one should be fine in the same slot. The Seagate is a 3TB HDD? And the Samsung an external? Looks like you have enough memory to work well for a while at least. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.