Acer XC-230 Is it possible to remove or destroy the wifi and bluetooth connector on the motherboard

Options
CMB2021
CMB2021 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have an Acer XC-230 and would prefer not having a wifi/bluetooth connector on my motherboard. I found the photo below on Acer's webpage and from what I have read no. 6 is a wireless connector. Can I remove or destroy it? If so how do I do it?
This is important for me and I may sell my PC if it is not possible.

-

Answers

• CMB2021
    Options
    Here is the photo:

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,439 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    That unit doesn't have wi-fi. Is the connector for an add-on wi-fi unit ? 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @cbm2021

Easy! If there is a M.2 2230 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card mounted to #6 slot of the motherboard, just use a small screw driver to remove the 3mm screw that fixed the card to the slot and then unplug the Wi-Fi card from the M.2 slot. Need not to destroy it. If you give it to a friend, the person will appreciate you.

You may want to disable this Wi-Fi device from Device Manager before doing it.
  • CMB2021
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I have removed the wifi/bluetooth card and I have disabled the Onboard Lan
    Controller in bios a long time ago. I'm not sure if I disabled wifi in device manager before I removed it but
    I think I did.
    The PC has no internet connection that I am aware of (it's my pc that no one else should have an access to and I have not connected it to the internet) but still there is no doubt someone can monitor and even manipulate contents in documents I work in. There may be 3 explanations on this:
    1. It is possible the M.2. Wlan connector works on short distances without the  wifi/bluetooth card you suggested
    I should remove (and that I have removed). 
    If it is like that one can imagine a person living not far away from my PC stealing data and sending it to others by using his/her PC that is connected to the internet.. Not good. 
    2. There is another small "hidden" part on the motherboard that can send and receive wireless signals..?
    3. People can connect to the PC over the powergrid. I have bought a surge protector which I read somewhere
    could be helpful to prevent that.
    So the next step now may be to do something about No. 6. I would like to destroy it or remove it somehow. Do you have a suggestion? 
  • CMB2021
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I have removed the wifi/bluetooth card and I have disabled the Onboard Lan
    Controller in bios a long time ago. I'm not sure if I disabled wifi in device manager before I removed it but
    I think I did.
    The PC has no internet connection that I am aware of (it's my pc and I have not connected it to the internet)
    but still there is no doubt someone can monitor and even manipulate contents in documents I work in. There may be 
    3 explanations on this:
    1. The M.2. Wlan connector works on short distances without the  wifi/bluetooth card you suggested
    I should remove (and that I have removed). It is not unlikely it is that way.
    If it is like that one can imagine a person living not far away stealing data in this way on a PC connected 
    to the internet and sending the data to others.. Not good. 
    2. There is another small part on the motherboard that can send and receive wireless signals.
    3. People can connect to the PC over the powergrid. I have bought a surge protector which I read somewhere
    could be helpful to prevent that.
    So the next step now may be to do something about No. 6. I would like to destroy it or remove it somehow. Do you have a suggestion? 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @CMB2021

Are you sure you do not have an RJ45 connector cable connected to motherboard for Ethernet?

Normally we see people here complaining that they do not have internet, but your case is having internet when it is not supposed to happen.

I suggest disconnect the power of your router and the modem too.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    Options
    Nope, with the WLAN card removed there is no way for anyone to get in via a wireless or Bluetooth signal. With the Ethernet port disabled or enabled there is no way for anyone to get int without physically plugging a cable into that port. #6 on that diagram doesn't (and can't) do anything without something plugged into contact with the pins. This is the same with #4, the PCIe x16 slot that is typically used for a GPU.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CMB2021
    Options
    There is no RJ45 cable connected to my PC and the wifi/bluetooth card has been removed. Still someone can connect to my PC. I have attached a photo of the motherboard. I suspect that the M.2. Wlan connector works on short distances without the  wifi/bluetooth card.

I think the technique is used by police and secret services and the problem is that people involved in crime are familiar with it and use the technique to steal from people. I have been a victim of that. I worked on a project that could have a very high value 10-15 years ago and that probably explains how it started. It has been going on ever since and it is time to stop it. I have done nothing wrong that can justify it. People involved have manipulated contents in letters I have been working on for police and have abused information relating to projects I have been working on also after. 

Acer must make a change in their motherboards for this reason and inform people what to do to protect themselves agint this kind of spying. The way to send and receive datasignals using a network (wireless or not) is a "new thing" for mankind having in mind that "Bones of primitive Homo sapiens first appear 300,000 years ago in Africa, with brains as large or larger than ours. They're followed by anatomically modern Homo sapiens at least 200,000 years ago, and brain shape became essentially modern by at least 100,000 years ago." (quote from Google).

The problem today is that there is missing evidence of experiences saying that there must be laws regulating this. Laws are missing! 300000 years ago people related to eachother in different ways, because there were missing laws, and maybe that's where mankind is today? 

If someone wants an access someones PC they must respectfully contact the owner and ask for an access and identify themselves so abuse can be revealed. Otherwise such techniques will be abused at the expense of honest and good people for the benefit of people involved in crime. That is very dangerous!

So, I want to destroy the part of the motherboard that makes such spying possible. Can I use a drill? (my emotions would prefer an hammer ;-)) 
  • CMB2021
    Options
    Photo of my motherboard

• Larryodie
    Options
    You are using password protected secured network ?

• Larryodie
    Options
    Are you running Any protection ?
    Windows Defender that comes installed on Win10 should be enough. I use Malewarebytes too. it is a little picky on some issues but I can review them before I quarantine them. But removing the card and disconnect the LAN connection will do the trick.
  • SxyPaw
    SxyPaw Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

If you charge your phone via a USB port on the computer, you might connect your computer to the internet via the phone's hotspot. On your phone, go to settings, Hotspot or Personal Hotspot or Mobile Hotspot and disable it.