Disable side volume key Chromebook Spin 713

Options
LawrenceRhodes
LawrenceRhodes Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2021 in Chromebooks
We use the Chromebook to display music on a music stand so it's 90°on edge, portrait/tablet mode. Perfect for accidentally getting the computer to read the screen. This happened at rehearsal. In a concert it would be a disaster. One blog advocated cutting off the key. My temporary solution is cork bumpers raising the volume key side so the keys don't touch. We obviously use the Chromebook in tablet/portrait which disables the keyboard. Not so for the volume key which in this mode is on the bottom.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @ LawrenceRhodes
    Could you please tell me modern name of device 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    IIRC you can just rotate it in tablet mode so the volume keys are at the top... The screen display should rotate it's orientation to match any time you are in tablet mode.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LawrenceRhodes
    Options
    billsey said:
    IIRC you can just rotate it in tablet mode so the volume keys are at the top... The screen display should rotate it's orientation to match any time you are in tablet mode.
    No can do. Need a USB for the foot pedal. Power also. Could get a Bluetooth pedal and fully charge. I guess there is no way to disable the volume switch. The bumpers seem to be the best solution and something all Chromebook makers need to address as anyone sitting the unit on a table in portrait mode will experience the same problem of unintended button pushing. Simple changing of the mold or recessing the keys would solve the problem. 
  • Peter_K
    Peter_K Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options
    When the screen is folded back there is a gap between the body and the screen and you should have no trouble finding a plastic moulding ( "T" or angle section? ) that will be held in place by the "gap" ( the vertical section) and holes cut in the horizontal section to prevent the buttons coming into contact with the music stand. The same effect as your cork bumpers but easily installed/removed.
  • LawrenceRhodes
    Options
    Peter_K said:
    When the screen is folded back there is a gap between the body and the screen and you should have no trouble finding a plastic moulding ( "T" or angle section? ) that will be held in place by the "gap" ( the vertical section) and holes cut in the horizontal section to prevent the buttons coming into contact with the music stand. The same effect as your cork bumpers but easily installed/removed.

Thanks for the suggestion but the cork is in and functioning. I hope Acer sees this post and modifies future units. Any side keys should be recessed since a tablet computer/laptop can be in any of 4 orientations.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @LawrenceRhodes,

Check for updates It will fix the issue

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.