New Swift 7 - Newbie Question. I can't highlight anything or drag anything with the touchpad!

Options
bigreddog
bigreddog Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi Everyone, I just bought a new Acer Swift 7 and it has a clickless touchpad.  Touchpad works and even works with some gestures such as two finger scrolling.  However, I cannot drag my cursor over anything such as words or files to highlight them.  This laptop's driver is a MS driver HID-Compliant Mouse.  I went to Acer's site to get a driver, there is none. I went into the BIOS because some articles said to turn the mouse from BASIC to ADVANCED.  There is no place to change that in the Swift 7 BIOS.  In Windows 10, I go to select TOUCHPAD in the settings and "Tap Twice and Drag to Multi-Select is turned on.  I just can't figure out how to highlight or drag anything like I did with my last laptop.  Has to be something stupid that I'm not doing with my fingers or some stupid setting.  There seems to be little to no info info on this laptop on the internet.  Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited October 2021
    Options
    bigreddog
    Kindly follow the details from the link 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/299498/how-do-i-right-click-using-the-acer-track-pad-aspire-5-laptop

Kindly go through the details from the attachment which is enclosed

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Which Swift 7 model do you have? It should be something like SF7xx-xxx-xxxx. Different models have different touchpads, so a generic answer might not be correct for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @bigreddog,

Try to disable and re-enable the touchpad then check the issue.
  • bigreddog
    bigreddog Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I figured it out.  It's basically because I'm left handed and I've been doing it wrong all these years.  To highlight I've always pressed down on the lower right of the track pad with my right hand's finger and then I drag to select with my left hand finger.  You can't do this on the Swift 7.  I figured out how to do it but I hate it.  Can anyone share with me what the story is or was with this laptop?  I bought it for $369 and thought it was a good deal.  However, as an Acer fan, I can't stand this laptop.  It's thin, but it's heavy.  The edges are razor sharp.  Awful trackpad.  No I/O on it.  I can live with dongles but there is just so much that's wrong with it.  Did everyone hate it and is that why I got it cheap?  I also have a new Acer with the 13.5" screen and it's ultra lightweight and much more comfortable to use.  I actually use my laptop on my lap.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    IIRC there is a setting to swap the buttons left to right...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.