Can the processor for Aspire TC-780 be upgraded for Windows 11?

Pupperoo
Pupperoo Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2021 in Windows 11
My PC is currently on W10 Home edition. I just bought this PC 4 years ago and its awesome! I ran the Windows 11 compatibility checker to see if my Aspire TC-780 can be upgraded to Windows 11 to continue getting security updates. Everything except for the processor which is Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-6700 @3.40 GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s) 8 Logical Processor(s). My Desktop PC runs very well and I do not want to purchase a new one when it works just fine. Is there a compatible processor I can upgrade it to? I understand Windows 10 support will end December 2022.  :(  I understand W10 Pro is supported through 2025 but I am not sure if there will be a cost for that as they did with Windows 7.  Does Acre sell parts to upgrade???

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    I think that you'll have until October 14 2025 then after you lose support, you still will be able to use it.
    It is a Bummer but I've been thru many Windows from 3.1 till now. Normally by the time MS quits updating, the computers have gotten slow and outdated to newer software thus virtually obsolete.
    I'd save my money to but a new unit it 2025 rather than trying to update a 4 year old computer. Good Luck.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    No, the 7th gen chipset aren't going to be supported by Windows 11, and an upgrade from 7th gen to newer requires a motherboard, CPU and memory swap. Just keep running Windows 10 and budget for a new system within the next four years.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.