Spin 713 Firmware Updating Warning each time started

Davystokes
Davystokes Member Posts: 3 New User
About two weeks ago my Acer Spin 713 displayed a notification that a firmware update was required. I followed the instructions to update the firmware but now each time I start the chromebook I receive a warning to let the firmware finish. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Davystokes,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.​
  • Davystokes
    Thanks Easwar for the reply but my problem is with a firmware update, not a Chrome OS update.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Which CP713 model do you have? There are several different ones... But, this might help, if it's not too technical.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Davystokes
    Billsey, thanks for the link. Yes, too technical for me but it did lead me to another page which states "During the boot process, the Read Only firmware checks whether there is an update in the Read Write section and, if so, jumps to the RW update to execute the new boot code." 
    So what may have happened is that I received a firmware update that went into the RW section. So now when starting the Chromebook initially boots firmware from the factory-set RO section, then checks if there is an update in the RW section, displays a warning to let the RO firmware load, and a few seconds later continues with the boot process.
    So maybe the message is nothing to be concerned about. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    That is possible, at least it fits the symptoms. :) I wonder if there's an arcane procedure to wipe that RW version?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.