I am upgrading my TC-1660 - need to know if it would take an i9 11900 processor

It currently has an i5 11400, which is a socket L1200 - I think the i9 11900 processor fits the same socket, but are their any motherboard issues that would restrict its performance?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Yes, as long as the CPU has the same TDP (65W I believe) you can just swap them in. If yours comes with an i5-11400F processor get an i9-11900F, otherwise the i9-11900 is the right one (the F processor is a bit cheaper since it doesn't have the GPU built in). You likely won't see a huge increase in speed, but if you have the cash you can certainly do the upgrade. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Yeetymcyeetyeet

I do not understand why people do not plan before buying their PC and then think about upgrade shortly after acquired one. Normally, I think upgrading a motherboard or a CPU is not worth it.

For you case here, upgrading an i5-11400 (~ USD $200-$300) to an i9-11900 (~ USD $500), we can expect little less than 70% performance increase with 150% higher price.
  • Yeetymcyeetyeet
    Yeetymcyeetyeet Member Posts: 3 New User
    @ttttt

It's a little thing called impulse :)

When bought, I aimed to purchase a small home office type PC, so something cheap and off the shelf seemed ok.

Got it home, took a quick look around the MB, it looked odd (and it is an unusual type), and though, lets upgrade this bad boy! (I like a challenge)

Already done the RAM, got a 700w PSU (and I have checked it is correct - TFX form) on the way in order to power the GPU (when I can find one, was thinking a 3060 TI or AMD equivalent) and was speculating whether to improve the CPU as well.

for a 70% performance increase, I think $500 shouldn't be too bad, it's not exactly a lot of money for this sort of thing (the other, complete self build I did cost just over $8,000!)
  • Mr_Nice_B
    Mr_Nice_B Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2021

Where did you find a replacement PSU??    I thought it was a regular power supply, and found myself screwed after my impulsiveness.
  • CrazyFloridian
    CrazyFloridian Member Posts: 4 New User
    billsey said:
    Yes, as long as the CPU has the same TDP (65W I believe) you can just swap them in. If yours comes with an i5-11400F processor get an i9-11900F, otherwise the i9-11900 is the right one (the F processor is a bit cheaper since it doesn't have the GPU built in). You likely won't see a huge increase in speed, but if you have the cash you can certainly do the upgrade. :)
    You also need to see which chipset you have on your motherboard. Some CPUs support only a 400 series chipset and some can use a 500 series chipset. I personally use a program call HWiNFO64 to see what chipset I have.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    The TC-1660 models use a Intel B560 Chipset.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.