Predator X34S VESA design issue

Options
Seanmiz
Seanmiz Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2021 in Predator Monitors
I recently bought the X34 S and realized that it has a fan that's built into the VESA mounting point. I tried asking Acer chat support, but they just admitted that attaching a VESA mount completely blocks the fan, end of story.

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

It boggles my mind that they would design a cooling system that is completely disabled by mounting it, no adapter or spacer that either comes with the monitor or is sold to resolve the issue.

The manual even appears to show a ventilated adapter of some kind being installed:

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,826 Trailblazer
    Options
    The unit was supposed to ship with a standoff for the VESA mount. I believe they call it a Shielding Bracket and it's Acer part number is: 33.TNCM5.002. You can use most any standoff arrangement you wish, maybe something like a couple of larger nuts between the screw mounts and the VESA plate?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Seanmiz
    edited October 2021
    Options
    billsey said:
    The unit was supposed to ship with a standoff for the VESA mount. I believe they call it a Shielding Bracket and it's Acer part number is: 33.TNCM5.002. You can use most any standoff arrangement you wish, maybe something like a couple of larger nuts between the screw mounts and the VESA plate?
    Thank you for your input.

Strangely enough, it did not ship with any kind of bracket and there is nothing like it listed in the packing items in the manual either. For the time being, I put some washers between the monitor and mount, but it's pretty ridiculous that customers have to come up with their own DIY solution instead of having something designed and optimized for the purpose, especially for a high-end gaming monitor.
  • Seanmiz
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Update: I looked up the manual for the older revisions of the X34 and the "Wall Mount BKT" is listed, however it is not listed in the newest GS or S model manuals. Extremely disappointing that they would stop providing this bracket.
  • Slizzo
    Slizzo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I used a couple of washers at each corner to space the monitor out from my VESA mount on my monitor arm. Gives a few MM at each corner extra from the plate, and there was a couple MM open on each side of the bracket from my mounting arm.

Something else would be more ideal though, I agree. Of course didn't have this issue with my previous X34P as it didn't have a fan for the g-sync module.
  • Jimmy8881
    Jimmy8881 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Seanmiz said:
    I recently bought the X34 S and realized that it has a fan that's built into the VESA mounting point. I tried asking Acer chat support, but they just admitted that attaching a VESA mount completely blocks the fan, end of story.

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

It boggles my mind that they would design a cooling system that is completely disabled by mounting it, no adapter or spacer that either comes with the monitor or is sold to resolve the issue.

The manual even appears to show a ventilated adapter of some kind being installed:

Did you manage to find a bracket for your monitor? I'm having the same problem, i currently use a monitor arm with vesa mount and it's pretty much completely blocking the fan.
  • billsey
    Options
    Search on the part number I posted above, that's the stock bracket that shipped with it. If you can't find it in your locale then any of the suggestions will work to give a little distance between the VESA mount and your stand.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jimmy8881
    Jimmy8881 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    Search on the part number I posted above, that's the stock bracket that shipped with it. If you can't find it in your locale then any of the suggestions will work to give a little distance between the VESA mount and your stand.
    Seems like that was the wront part number, contacted acer, they shipped me the part and this is what i received, definetly not the vesa bracket
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, that looks like the bracket under the one we want. Contact Acer support again and they should be able to take this one back and send you what you really need. Let me know what they have for a part number on the right one.
  • Atomizer
    Atomizer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi all! Just joined the forum as I'm in a similar situation as OP, did you solve the VESA mounting issue?
  • Seanmiz
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Atomizer said:
    Hi all! Just joined the forum as I'm in a similar situation as OP, did you solve the VESA mounting issue?
    I tried to work with support to get a bracket, they sent one from the previous model, but it's a slightly different shape and doesn't fit. There does not appear to be an official solution to this problem, which is rather insane. 

I added some washers to make a gap between the monitor and my VESA mount, but that seems to be just about all you can do.

This is the bracket they sent, the triangular area and the extra length that goes along with it on the other side prevent this bracket from being used: