Extensa 2540: External equipment

Islander
Islander Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2021 in TravelMate and Extensa
I have a Acer Extensa 2540, Can I fit an external monitor, external keyboard and external mouse to the laptop and close the laptop so that I am using the external monitor.

[ Title edited to add the name of the product]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    A quick search on Amazon UK still shows 24" monitors for around £100. Smaller ones are less, larger more.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Islander,

Yes, you can put the laptop in sleep mode.
  • billsey
    Actually, you want to setup your power options to not put it in sleep mode when you close the lid. If you allow it to go to sleep then you won't be able to use the external devices.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Islander

Tinkerer

How confusing. Two people have taken trouble to give me an answer but unfortunately they are not the same. Can anyone point me in the direction I can get a definative correct answer
  • billsey
    We really are looking in the right direction. I believe Easwar just misunderstood the question. What you seem to want is for the laptop to continue running when you close it, so you can use the external keyboard, mouse and monitor as your interface to the OS and apps. To do that you want the laptop to stay awake when you close it.
  • Islander

Tinkerer

Yes I think the use of the word "close" may have been misunderstood. I meant "close the laptop lid" but leave the actual computer running.

Can I do this?

• billsey
    Yup, you can do that. Power Options; Choose what closing the lid does.
  • Islander

Tinkerer

Thank you very much. Now I just have to find a reasonably priced monitor
  • billsey
    There are lots to choose from in the $100 range...
  • Islander

Tinkerer

Thanks but I'm in the UK
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    A quick search on Amazon UK still shows 24" monitors for around £100. Smaller ones are less, larger more.