XC-885 BIOS UPDATE QUESTIONS

Simonics
Simonics Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
I need to update BIOS to R01-C3 from R01-B3.  The update includes Intel ME, etc as well.
So I saw a thread on here for a different Acer desktop about upgrading the BIOS, that confused me.

There are 3 sets of pdf instructions, 2 for upgrade off windows, 1 for EFI Shell.
[ME FW & System for EFI Shell pdf uses EFI and ROM folders;  1 ME FW & System for windows pdf uses WIN and ROM folders;  1 UCP for windows pdf uses UCP folder]

1) Will all 3 methods be suitable for UEFI BIOS update?
I read that EFI Shell is for EFI BIOS - But I don't know if that is true?
[Some non PC equipment I found has Build EFI Shell setting in BIOS to update BIOS].
What are the 3 methods for?

2) I used the EFI Shell method:
I found a shell.efi file from McAfee online and made a boot USB.
When the BIOS firmware update utility checked the ROM Layout, it reported it as changed, instead of ok.
[It's shown as ok in the pdf instructions].
What does this mean -is it the checksum? - Is the update file corrupted?
I decided not to go ahead with flashing the BIOS, until I checked.
[Obviously if the ROM Layout is not ok, I shouldn't install it]. 

3)  Acer Firmware in Win Update:
I notice Acer Firmware 5.35.12.30 under optional updates.
I suspect this might be the BIOS upgrade, though I haven't found this explicitly said online.
I distrust Windows updates with drivers, etc, ever since they tried to download a 32 instead of 64 bit driver, and another time, loaded a graphics driver that crashed the OS, causing clean re install on a Windows 7 PC.
Has anyone done this firmware update - is it ok? Or better to update BIOS myself?
[I've always been told to do BIOS on a USB stick]

With thanks

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,186 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Simonics said:
    No - I think - Now you've updated - best to leave it.  

You're not going to believe it - After I tried method 2 and said no to restart + load update, I closed everything. The PC went to sleep after a long time - when I clicked the mouse, it had started the update by itself!!! Forget the user!!!

It is now R01-C3
    On the post screen after setup it says 'Setup settings error, CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery loss occurs.
    Default settings loaded.'

So clearly there was something going on. - I may clear the CMOS, and keep an eye on my date and time, if the CMOS battery needs changing.

Simonics said:

You're not going to believe it - After I tried method 2 and said no to restart + load update, I closed everything. The PC went to sleep after a long time - when I clicked the mouse, it had started the update by itself!!! Forget the user!!!

It is now R01-C3
    On the post screen after setup it says 'Setup settings error, CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery loss occurs.

So clearly there was something going on. - I may clear the CMOS, and keep an eye on my date and time, if the CMOS battery needs changing.

Try cleaning the cmos:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Simonics
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to everyone for all your help.

I found the checksum setup settings CMOS error goes back to Feb 2021 on my PC, and is not related to the BIOS Update, so the BIOS update file on the Acer website should be totally fine.

[Malware can hang out on official websites - In the past, many years ago, I had issues downloading drivers from Intel website, as malware piggy backed on their 'Husdawg' Driver detector that detects drivers on your PC. Hopefully they sorted it now. I now avoid any detector that wants to find things on my PC.]

Thanks once again.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    You lost me (I'm confused)  on your question but here is the way that I do them. 
    Do your downloads ONLY from the ACER SUPPORT site.

Go here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7644?b=1&pn=DT.BAQSV.003 and download. 

Follow the instructions in the Appendix UCP BIOS Update SOP for Windows v1.0
    Copy the UCB folder to a USB drive as directed.
    Do everything in order with NO POWER INTERRUPTIONS all will be OK. 
  • Simonics
    Thanks for this - I realise that due to lack of clear overall Acer instructions, people seem to be doing BIOS upgrades in a variety of ways, and amazingly finding a way through!
  • Larryodie
    The instructions are very clear but in my opinion is that ACER should post clearer instructions on their support site. Here is the Appendix  UCP BIOS Update SOP for Windows v1.0
    Be careful and do it step by step with no power interruptions, never panic when the screen goes black for awhile. 

• Simonics
    Thanks for that - yes better instructions which one to choose etc
  • Larryodie
    Let us know as to how it goes. 

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,217 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    The 3 methods flash the same BIOS version, but only in different ways. First one is to update ME (Management Engine) and BIOS via the EFI shell in case no OS is installed, the second one is the same as the first, but via Windows command prompt, and the third updates ME and BIOS via EXE file In Windows.
    To update the BIOS, Acer recommends the 2.method (ME FW & System BIOS Update for Windows).
  • Larryodie
    So you are saying that ACER says to do this method ?

Simonics Take note of this. 
  • Simonics
    Hi - Thanks Larryodie, and Wascas. Really interesting info - Thanks, I did wonder if they were all the same update for the same kind of EFI BIOS. [I thought there may possibly have been legacy BIOS updates too for older machines, or they put this folder of BIOS updates across a few different models]. That's very helpful.

- [I tried method 1 EFI previously and got it all to work, but 'Check ROM Layout' showed 'changed' - and in the pdf  it showed it should be 'ok', so I wondered if the ROM file was corrupted or malwared on the Acer website.]

- I tried method 2 -
    - The Admin Cmmd Prmpt does not recognise the cmmds in the pdf instructions [though these same cmmds worked great in EFI shell]- I worked with various ways to get it to work - In the end I decided to just click the FLASHx64.bat on the USB Drive! 
    - Once again the 'Check ROM Layout' showed 'changed' - and in the pdf  it showed it should be 'ok', so I wondered if the ROM file was corrupted or malwared on the Acer website.
    - Also - I wonder - It doesn't tell me to disable Secure Boot in BIOS first unlike in Method 1.

- Then there's also method 3 that looks very simple!

- My gut feeling is it might be safer to Disable secure Boot first in the BIOS, though in method 2 and 3 it may not be necessary.
    - Then loading from Windows being open, sounds a bit risky, as you don't want to work on a drive you're using - but on the other hand, it shuts down first, so that may be fine.

- I have to wait for evenings anyway, as we sometimes get powercuts in the day here!

Thanks - any further info welcome.

• Larryodie
    Method 3 says to "1.2 Copy “UCP” folders including files to a storage device"
    Method 3 says to "1.2 Copy “WIN” and “ROM” folders including files to a storage device."

I personally have always done Method 3 from an USB
    Should I go back and do Method 2 ??? 
    I'm Confused.
  • Simonics

It is now R01-C3

• Larryodie

As it was changed thus checksum errors from last time.  Check it again. 
    I wouldn't mess with Bios anymore as you can have a BRICK or BOAT ANCHOR, 
    I also don't think that clearing will reset to the factory bios as your R01-3 will remain. 
  • Simonics
    Yes - I am stuck with the R01-C3 BIOS! I suspect there may be a checksum error with the original download ROM file - when it mentioned ROM file had changed in 'Check ROM layout' back on the USB stick, before the download. As I understand it, the checksum is to see if anything [malware] has been added to a program. I only hope I haven't installed malware in my BIOS.

Clearing the CMOS using the CMOS 'jumper' will refresh the BIOS settings [like when you install extra RAM]. It had trouble with settings so may help it.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,186 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Simonics said:

It is now R01-C3

Simonics said:

It is now R01-C3

Try cleaning the cmos:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Simonics
    Yes Thanks - Useful Picture - very clear
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,217 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited October 2021
    Führen Sie nach dem BIOS-Update die folgenden Schritte aus:
    1. Rufen Sie das BIOS auf.
    2. Drücken Sie F9 und "Enter". Lädt die BIOS-Standardeinstellungen.
    3. Drücken Sie F10 und "Enter". Speichert BIOS-Standardeinstellungen.
    4. Beenden Sie das BIOS mit Speichern.
    It is not necessary to clear the CMOS.

• Simonics
    Ok Thanks - will do this before anything else
  • Larryodie
    edited October 2021
    I'm confused. Does using the jumper or removing the battery, reset to FACTORY LEVEL BIOS ? 
  • Simonics
    No it doesn't
  • Simonics
    Clearing the CMOS using the CMOS 'jumper' will refresh the BIOS settings [like when you install extra RAM].
  • Simonics
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to everyone for all your help.

I found the checksum setup settings CMOS error goes back to Feb 2021 on my PC, and is not related to the BIOS Update, so the BIOS update file on the Acer website should be totally fine.

[Malware can hang out on official websites - In the past, many years ago, I had issues downloading drivers from Intel website, as malware piggy backed on their 'Husdawg' Driver detector that detects drivers on your PC. Hopefully they sorted it now. I now avoid any detector that wants to find things on my PC.]

Thanks once again.