No charge and won't boot - Chromebook cb5-312t k1tr

Anon30
Anon30 Member Posts: 3 New User
I have a Chromebook cb5-312t k1tr it won't charge and will not boot, when I try to trickle charge with USB from another laptop the charge light blinks blue once and no more, when I charge from the mains power supply - no lights and no charge. I have tested with an alternate power supply. Just before it died i got a message about corrupted OS but have not been able to use the repair utility as i cannot get the machine to start. I have tried draining it with refresh and power button and also disconnected and reconnected the battery.
Is there anything else i can try before replacing hardware? If not, is it more likely the battery/motherboard or something else that has failed?

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
  • Anon30
    Thanks Easwar, any idea if it's likely the battery or mobo or another part? I would have a go at replacing it myself if I could isolate the issue
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    In most cases it's the charger, you need it to output the full 45W in order to get a charge going. The other laptop may not put that much out on the USB-C port (they typically do 15W). If the issue isn't the charger then the next step is the battery. I'm a bit worried about the corrupted OS indication, I'd hate for you to buy a new battery and then find out the eMMC drive has failed, requiring a MB replacement.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Anon30
    Thank you, I have marked your comment as helpful but looks like I have marked the question as solved by mistake. I will try a new battery and then MB if necessary, will update this thread.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Please do. I'll ask the moderators to remove the solution until you have a chance to test it out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.