Acer Nitro 5 2020 - Flickering screen

keysmash
keysmash Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I have my 4 months old Acer Nitro 5 2020 with AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Radeon(TM) Graphic with GTX1650. In recent days, my laptop suddenly flickering without any reason and so randomly.
I try to uninstall my driver then restart window to reinstall it through windows update but it's no help. Then i download AMD auto detect driver tool to install latest stable driver but sometime it still flickering.
Here's my current device specification

Windows version: Windows 10 Pro version 21H1, OS build 19043.1237, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Device specification: Acer Nitro 5 2020

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Integrated graphic
  • VGA: GTX 1650

Driver specification: 

• AMD Radeon(TM) Graphic version 27.20.22025.1006 (Install by AMD Auto Detect and Install driver tool)
Temporary solution:
  • Change between refresh rate from 144 to 60Hz, then change it back to 144Hz may temporary resolve issue
Flicker video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/roo6KUb5AZ1wFwKj9

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,833 Trailblazer
    >>>I have my 4 months old Acer Nitro 2020 with AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Radeon(TM) Graphic with GTX1650. In recent days, my laptop suddenly flickering without any reason and so randomly.>>>

(1) Shut laptop off.  Unplug charger. Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for 60 seconds
    (2) Plug charger back in and wait for battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue
    (3) After turning steady blue, press power button to turn machine on and immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS menu.
    (4) Press F9 in BIOS menu to load BIOS firmware defaults. Press F10 to save BIOS defaults and exit.
    (5) Windows should boot normally. Flickering should stop.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    keysmash,

Is the screen flickers in BIOS page. 
  • keysmash
    Easwar said:
    keysmash,

Nope, it only happen with Windows. When I restart my laptop, things get back to normal.
  • keysmash
    JackE said:
    >>>I have my 4 months old Acer Nitro 2020 with AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Radeon(TM) Graphic with GTX1650. In recent days, my laptop suddenly flickering without any reason and so randomly.>>>

(1) Shut laptop off.  Unplug charger. Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for 60 seconds
    (2) Plug charger back in and wait for battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue
    (3) After turning steady blue, press power button to turn machine on and immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS menu.
    (4) Press F9 in BIOS menu to load BIOS firmware defaults. Press F10 to save BIOS defaults and exit.
    (5) Windows should boot normally. Flickering should stop.
    Screen is not always flickering. With normal usage, flickering appear so randomly so i don't know the root cause that trigger this issue. Yesterday, I was updated my firmware to Insyde Firmware 5.41.1.4. Let's see if it solve the problem.
  • JackE
    >>>Screen is not always flickering.>>>

If it starts flickering again, check if an external HDMI TV screen also flickers at the same time.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    keysmash,

keysmash said:
    Easwar said:
    keysmash,

Nope, it only happen with Windows. When I restart my laptop, things get back to normal.
    So once reset the unit back to normal. It may be a software malfunction. Plz post again if the issue occurs again. 
  • JackE
    >>>Screen is not always flickering.>>>

If it starts flickering again, check if an external HDMI TV screen also flickers at the same time.

Jack E/NJ

• arorashepherd
    arorashepherd Member Posts: 1 New User
    ive been having the same issue, it happens if i move and have the laptop on my lap or if im typing
  • Soundsgood
    Soundsgood Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same computer, the same problem.

It doesn't happen with an external monitor.

Do you have any idea to solve this? I think that something is wrong between the AMD GPU and the NVIDIA gpu. Flickering stops when I disable the driver of the AMD gpu.

• JackE

> >Flickering stops when I disable the driver of the AMD gpu.> >

Go to this link. Enter your machine's full model number —- for example AN515-47. Then download, unzip and install the updates for the AMD chipset & gpu drivers for the Windows version you're trying to use.

Jack E/NJ