N17Q3 Laptop

wendi
wendi Member Posts: 2 New User
I have two Acer Aspire laptops that I purchased a few years ago for my employees.  There dates show 2017 & 2018.  I know they are older but ever since I got them I have never been able to run an update because they crash every time.  Sometimes the computer just shuts down.  In addition I am unable to run programs on the devices as it wont install or it just shuts dwn.   I have 6 GB of ram with only 1.2 being used.  I thought this was checked into before now but i was not.  Is there any help out their for me or are these just trash now?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,781 Trailblazer
    >>>I have 6 GB of ram with only 1.2 being used. >>>

These laptops should have 4GB  unreplaceable soldered DDR4 RAM on the mainboard. If they each have a 2GB replaceable DDR4 RAM module installed to make 6GB, they should be removed. The 2GB DDR4 modules are notoriously unreliable and incompatible with many laptop. 4GB should work just fine.   

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    wendi said:
    I have two Acer Aspire laptops that I purchased a few years ago for my employees.  There dates show 2017 & 2018.  I know they are older but ever since I got them I have never been able to run an update because they crash every time.  Sometimes the computer just shuts down.  In addition I am unable to run programs on the devices as it wont install or it just shuts dwn.   I have 6 GB of ram with only 1.2 being used.  I thought this was checked into before now but i was not.  Is there any help out their for me or are these just trash now?
    First is your laptop N17Q3 model the Aspire 3 A315-21? Also and with your problem(s) if you havent got any valuable data on them? If you do then back everything up first and then start afresh by competley reinstalling Win-10 on these laptops as that will solve all your updates problems, this is the simplest and esiest way to solve your problem(s). Also and If the laptop is functioning and you can get into the OS, download and Create Windows 10 installation media an installation USB on an 8GB USB with this laptop so that you can reinstall Win-10 again onto these laptops. 

Also and if you only have 6GB RAM on these A315-21 laptops running Win-10 I would suggest that you increase the memory to its max total of 12GB as these laptops have 4GB onboard sodred on memory and have 1x removable slot for memory upgrades, also install CPUz to see the exsact specs of your OEM memory and update the memory to that spec (btw, the memory spcs should be either DDR4 2666MHz, DDR4 2400MHz, DDR4 2133MHz, or DDR4 1600 MHz SDRAM soDIMM's) as you must have 1x 2GB memory installed to give you te total of 6GB total. Increase that to 8GB first so that your laptop has adequate memory to run Win-10 comfortably and efficiently. Also this laptop takes a SATA-3 6GB/sec M.2 SSD of the type "Kingston RBU-SNS8180DS3/ 256GH" and can also acomodate a 2.5" SATA-3 6GB/sec spinner HDD or 2.5" SSD. 
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    HI @wendi
    Could you please tell me full modern name of device 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,781 Trailblazer
    >>>I have 6 GB of ram with only 1.2 being used. >>>

These laptops should have 4GB  unreplaceable soldered DDR4 RAM on the mainboard. If they each have a 2GB replaceable DDR4 RAM module installed to make 6GB, they should be removed. The 2GB DDR4 modules are notoriously unreliable and incompatible with many laptop. 4GB should work just fine.   

Jack E/NJ