Acer Spin 5 sp513-54n keeps shutting down

BarreraJ
BarreraJ Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello, I bought this laptop for my sister for college and drawing 1 month ago. Sent it straight to my family as I live elsewhere. When I finally got to see it I began uninstalling all the bloatware and Norton; suddenly the screen turned off and the fans ramped up to max before shutting down 30 seconds later. It started happening more and more whenever the laptop is not plugged in.

I am running the latest BIOS with all updates from the Windows update center. I even reset the PC and am thinking of a clean Windows install. I have not opened the laptop as I don't have the correct screwbit for the screws it uses.

I am afraid the battery power draw might be faulty or something else is wrong and I have to send it for repairs. So I humbly ask if anyone might know what the issue is.

Thank you in advance.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    BarreraJ,

What to do if my laptop randomly turns off?
    1. Troubleshoot the overheating issue.
    2. Hard reset your laptop.
    3. Update available drivers.
    4. Turn off fast startup.
    5. Run a virus scan.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    The fans ramping up to full speed is either an issue with heat or the BIOS. Which BIOS version is installed? Windows Update can potentially do a partial BIOS update separate from anything Acer has on their support site. Run a utility to check CPU temperature and see if it's getting up into the 90C+ range. It will force a shutdown at 100C.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BarreraJ
    billsey said:
    The fans ramping up to full speed is either an issue with heat or the BIOS. Which BIOS version is installed? Windows Update can potentially do a partial BIOS update separate from anything Acer has on their support site. Run a utility to check CPU temperature and see if it's getting up into the 90C+ range. It will force a shutdown at 100C.
    It seems like it does reach the 90c range sometimes, but it'a hard to measure real time performance since it happens very sporadically.
    Lately it turns off almost automatically after turning it on.

It is also running the latest BIOS V1.10
  • billsey
    I run a utility called Core Temp that displays my current CPU temperatures in the status bar at bottom right. Using something like that can give us accurate numbers to work from. Here's the fan truth table:
    Note they try to run the CPU cores in the 40s and 50s but don't start throttling the CPU back until it hits that 92C point. The fan is going to be noisiest above 56C.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BarreraJ
    billsey said:
    I run a utility called Core Temp that displays my current CPU temperatures in the status bar at bottom right. Using something like that can give us accurate numbers to work from. Here's the fan truth table:
    Note they try to run the CPU cores in the 40s and 50s but don't start throttling the CPU back until it hits that 92C point. The fan is going to be noisiest above 56C.
    So I just installed CORE TEMP and even enabled the option of overheat warning as you said but just after 10 min it shut off again, even while I was watching the coretemp program and it was not overheating.

I have not been able to open the laptop because I don't have the very small screwbits it uses.

thank you for the help.
  • billsey
    OK, if the temperatures are being reported as low enough then the issue isn't overheating. There is something else going on. Do you ever get the BSOD? Those will leave dump files that can help with diagnosis. Can you get it to fail while in the BIOS screens? If not then we're looking at the Windows environment, not as likely to be hardware. If it can happen in the BIOS then it's definitely hardware and the best next step is to have Acer repair under warranty.