Swift 3 (SF314-43): Keyboard Backlight Timeout?

Options
SamSwift1
SamSwift1 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Does anyone know if there a way to stop the keyboard timing out after around 30 seconds?
A backlit keyboard is very useful (and oddly not common), but having it timing out is a nuisance that spoils the benefits!
I did do a search and in 2018 someone with another ACER laptop series could fix it by a bios update. Have things moved on since then?
Surely it makes sense to let the user have the option to keep the keyboard lit?
Many thanks,

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    SamSwift1,

In the settings window you will have option never off
    How to Enable Your Keyboard Backlight in Windows 10
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Most models with keyboard backlighting don't have that adjustability. Some don't even have the BIOS setting to turn the backlight all the way off.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SamSwift1
    SamSwift1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.
    I wonder where those setting are found, Easwar? Unfortunately I can't find any settings for the keyboard backlighting other than a dedicated F8 key to turn it on or off. Maybe more expensive models do?
    It seems an oddball ACER system, but looks like I'm stuck with it.
    In low ambient light if the backlighting goes out (30 seconds or so) I'll just have to hit the Ctrl key before I type.
    Sam
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The Swift 3 models are pretty standard. I don't think their decision as to what level of control is supported is driven by the model cost, more likely the popularity and the number of requests they see from users.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • flugzug612
    flugzug612 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    i was also googling for so long how to keep the backlight always on, then it occured to me that it was common sense; some posts about the bios says that you can only enable or disable the "keyboard backlight time-out". Some people misunderstood or misread it as turning the backlight on or off, but actually you only disable or enable the "time-out"... so if you disable the 'time-out', then it is always on.  So in short, go to the bios and disable 'keyboard backlight time-out'.  It worked for me.