Correct version, or Latest BIOS to Load - Aspire XC-885-ES13

CanonMan
CanonMan Member Posts: 2 New User
We just purchased a new / old stock Aspire model XC-885-ES13 manufactured 2019/12/23.

It replaces a 10 year old Acer that recently died a quiet death without explanation. But at 10 years I'd say that's high praise for Acer, wouldn't you?

This new PC runs just fine.

Anyway, I wanted to update the BIOS which is also dated 2019, but the website lists more than one and warns against pulling down the wrong one.

Any thoughts from the Community on how to proceed would be appreciated.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answer

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Seems that R01-C3 is the latest, I assume that it incorporates all the previous. I'm not sure as to how to get additional info. Sometimes "if it ain't broke" then don't mess with it is good advice. 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7644?b=1&pn=DT.BAQSV.003
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    CanonMan said:
    We just purchased a new / old stock Aspire model XC-885-ES13 manufactured 2019/12/23.

It replaces a 10 year old Acer that recently died a quiet death without explanation. But at 10 years I'd say that's high praise for Acer, wouldn't you?

This new PC runs just fine.

Anyway, I wanted to update the BIOS which is also dated 2019, but the website lists more than one and warns against pulling down the wrong one.

Any thoughts from the Community on how to proceed would be appreciated.
    First, why do you want to update the BIOS? As a BIOS update is not just done for the sake of it and like a usual update, its only done tofix the tiled and specific thing(s) that a BIOS is made for! Be very careful as NOT knowing how to update a BIOS could brick your XC-885 desktop as Acer specifically warns you "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" so and if you haven't done a BIOS update like this you need experience and to know what you are doing! Be warned as this is serious as you could do damage. 

Anyway, the last XC-885 BIOS version R01-C3 Date: 2020/07/17 and titled "Fixed Intel SA00307 ME security vulnerability" has all the updates of the other BIOS versions, so you only have to update the last version. Good luck and be very careful and if this desktop is covered by Acer warranty get Acer's advice "if you need this BIOS update" and get them todo it, especially if you don't know what you are doing! 
  • CanonMan
    CanonMan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks so much for your comments. 

However, my parents took the training wheels of my bike about 65 years ago, and I've been working with computers (starting with the PDP-8) for over 40 years, so I'm not a neophyte to this world of technology. But thanks for assuming and pointing out that so many people MUST be idiots in the information they seek and the questions they ask.

That Acer has issued at least one and possibly two BIOS updates for this platform series is not unusual; - my Lenovo T-14 which is only 6 months old has received three BIOS updates since I bought it. All of the updates addressed similar security issues apparently addressed below.

Your comment: " ... Anyway, the last XC-885 BIOS version R01-C3 Date: 2020/07/17 and titled "Fixed Intel SA00307 ME security vulnerability" has all the updates of the other BIOS versions, so you only have to update the last version. Good luck and be very careful and if this desktop is covered by Acer warranty get Acer's advice "if you need this BIOS update" and get them todo it, especially if you don't know what you are doing! ..." is a vexing one because the security management engine vulnerability could create issues, no? This appears to be a major reason why ACER released this particular update.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful I do not appreciate being trolled and talked down to, so I'll leave this forum now with one last parting thought, "Never underestimate anyone. The person you underestimate is the one that just might surprise you." Here ends the lesson.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    A simple "Thank You" would have been appreciated and follow up on your endeavor, SteveGen and I was only trying to help another person that had asked for advice. 
    Kindness is always welcomed in my world.