I have a TC-875-Ur15 I would like to upgrade....Thanks

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hank917 said:

=)=)=) there is no such thing, as CPU coolers are mounted straight onto the motherboard with its mounting bolts and screws like ttttt has said. You can put any cooler if it fits into the space that you have in your TC-875-Ur15 so measure the free space that you have

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Hank917

The weight of a CPU cooler and the heat sink is on the mounting screws, not on the CPU. Never thought about such question.
    Cannot tell you the exact weight limit before breaking the screws and mounting bracket. Maybe those CPU cooler manufacturers can quote you some numbers.

If you want to upgrade CPU cooler for your PC, chances are you may want to upgrade from a 65W TDP heat sink to something like 125W TDP. This 125W heat sink will be somewhat  heavier and larger, more radiator fins area for cooling and wider fan.

I can tell you my experience. I have a mid tower desktop PC using i5-11500 CPU (65W TDP). This CPU is known to be running rather hot. To avoid high temperature that may affect the life of the CPU, I use a big and heavy CPU cooler/heat sink of 200W TDP for the desktop. This CPU cooler will fit the mid tower  but will not fit my other small form factor Acer desktop PC (TC-885-UA91). Current CPU temperature for this i5-11500 CPU desktop is in mid 40 degree C range. Happy about it.

My conclusion is that you need not worry about the weight of the CPU coolers in the market now, but the size limit is more important.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hank917 said:

=)=)=) there is no such thing, as CPU coolers are mounted straight onto the motherboard with its mounting bolts and screws like ttttt has said. You can put any cooler if it fits into the space that you have in your TC-875-Ur15 so measure the free space that you have