Nitro AN515-51 secondary SATA drive performance

TheRob941
TheRob941 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I've added now 2, Samsung EVO 860 500GB and 1TB drives in my secondary port in my Nitro. Both drives, brand new, have write speeds of 9 MB/s. YES, you read that right. I unboxed a brand new 500GB EVO tonight and put it in and it was actually worse than the other one. I can't seem to narrow down why these particular drives perform so poor on this laptop. I've adjusted TRIM, Optimied with Samsung Magician, verified storage drivers in Win 10 (DEV 11 Preview). This has me baffled. I can put it in a different system, even an USB SATA with either drive in it and it performs better, not optimal but better. Taking the drive to a different system provides entirely different positive results. 

Could it be drivers? I'm going to order a replacement SATA cable and see if that has anything to do with it. I recently opened the laptop, cleaned the fans, did an inspection of caps and made sure all the connections were snug. Short of that, I have no answers. For the record, I can't go full power mode as the EVO 860 doesn't support it. The newest firmware for the drive (which I can't install because teh drive is acting so weird in the system in Samsung Magician) enables DevSleep. I have 1 drive with updated firmware and 1 without, both run terrible.

Has anyone experienced this before? 

Answers

• Hi! Have you already tested the crystaldiskmark? If the read and write speed are wrong, try this procedure:
    a) press windows+r, type msconfig, system boot, enable safeboot and restart windows;
    b) after windows boot from safeboot, go to device manager, uninstall and delete this driver:

Then restart windows again and run the test with crystaldiskmark!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TheRob941

Tinkerer

I'll give it a go when I get home this evening. I've benched both drives in numerous different software and I pretty much get the same results with a ~9 MB/s write speed. Read speed is normal, 4k is normal, access time is normal but the write speed is horrible on both drives. Even the brand new one I unboxed and installed last night. :(
  • TheRob941

Tinkerer

I don't have that driver installed, so there goes that idea. I'm not sure what else I can do except maybe try to order the ridiculously thin SATA cable that is connected for the secondary SATA drive. I just don't get it. Probably time for an upgrade soon anyways. I love this laptop and have had it for many years and I'm going to use it until it's absolutely dead. :) Thanks for the suggestion but back to the drawing board as they say.
  • Can you send a device manager screenshot? Probably the driver should be like SATA AHCI or something. What is the bios version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TheRob941

Tinkerer

Thanks for responding. The BIOS is Insyde Corp V1.22 from 3/15/2019.

Here is the screenshot you asked for. 

• OK! First try to update the Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver here: https://dsadata.intel.com/installer
    Then check the read and write rate again. I also suggest you to update the ssd firmware!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TheRob941

Tinkerer

I was able to update the firmware of 1 of the Samsung 860 EVO's but the other one constantly says "Firmware update failed" in Samsung Magician. I'll try the driver install and see if the benchmark software reports anything different and I'll report back. Thanks for continuing to work with me on this, it's very frustrating.
  • TheRob941

Tinkerer

Installed the Intel driver and it didn't help. Actually, my write speed on the Samsung is around 4.25MB/s now. I'm using the drive that the firmware was updated on. At this point, it makes no sense. Identical drives, both have terrible write speeds. It has to be something else but I can't figure this one out. This is the first time I've been stumped in like 10 years. Literally. Can you think of anything else? I appreciate the help 100%. Thank you!
  • Can you test it with another sata cable?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TheRob941

Tinkerer

Those cables aren't the normal kind you can buy in a store. I have to order one. I'll go ahead and do that because at this point, everything else has been looked at by process of elimination except the cable. I'll let you know when I order and it arrives. Thanks.
  • TheRob941

Tinkerer

edited October 2021
    I ordered the cable and it arrives Saturday 10/23. Once I install it, I'll run some benchmarks and report back the verdict. Just wanted to keep you updated since you took the time to reply and help me out. Cheers.
  • Mrmigs08
    Mrmigs08 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    On my nvme m.2 I was told to run Samsung drivers not the windows ones due to performance issues, is Samsung magician benchmark showing the drive as slow or just Windows?
  • TheRob941

Tinkerer

Samsung Magician was showing it worse than other benchmark software. It wouldn't let me update firmware or anything and sometimes stalled out while benching the drive. 

It turns out that the SATA cable I had was bad. I bought a new one and installed it and the drive benches normal now. In my opinion, it is still a bit slow but according to Samsung, it's performing as it's supposed to. 

I got a 517 MB/s Read and 467 MB/s Write. I got the firmware upgraded and this is the best benchmark on the drive yet. 
    My WDC nVme m.2 is getting 2162 MB/s Read and 1620 MB/s Write. 

Thank you for all the help with this. It was driving me crazy. Normally I would have bought the cable first but it seemed like a driver issue. Ah well, it's fixed! Thanks again.
  • TheRob941 said:
    Samsung Magician was showing it worse than other benchmark software. It wouldn't let me update firmware or anything and sometimes stalled out while benching the drive. 

It turns out that the SATA cable I had was bad. I bought a new one and installed it and the drive benches normal now. In my opinion, it is still a bit slow but according to Samsung, it's performing as it's supposed to. 

I got a 517 MB/s Read and 467 MB/s Write. I got the firmware upgraded and this is the best benchmark on the drive yet. 
    My WDC nVme m.2 is getting 2162 MB/s Read and 1620 MB/s Write. 

Thank you for all the help with this. It was driving me crazy. Normally I would have bought the cable first but it seemed like a driver issue. Ah well, it's fixed! Thanks again.

In that case, accept the answer that helped you, to place the topic as resolved.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer