Aspire XC-885 Fan Problem in a demo unit

lubu
lubu Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Guys,

I bought a XC-885 demo unit from a computer shop few months ago

The CPU Fan going to make me mad soon...

It will ON and OFF ( not real off but slow spin I mean )
This issue not happen on Dell or Lenovo or HP....
I have used 7700 CPU with those brand with SFF case without FAN issue.

When CPU loading is high ( Temp high )
The Fan will go crazy............
PC idle CPU temp is 50+ ,   reapply CPU heat paste not help...
latest firmware updated..... no help........

The stock CPU Fan (HeatSink) is NOT copper base... it is 100% NOT enough for 8700.....
But I can't find any upgrade version CPU heatsink for 8700 on XC-885 / XC-886

Any guys using XC-885 / XC-886 with 8700 CPU?  How you guys solve the temperature issue??

Thanks!

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Which BIOS version are you running? It should be modulating the fan to hold the CPU near 50C at idle, and under 80-90C under heavy loads. Any chance the fan is getting dirty? They make a lot more noise at speed when unbalanced due to dust build up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lubu
    billsey said:
    Which BIOS version are you running? It should be modulating the fan to hold the CPU near 50C at idle, and under 80-90C under heavy loads. Any chance the fan is getting dirty? They make a lot more noise at speed when unbalanced due to dust build up.
    Hi

yes, it is idle 52,3 C around
    heavy workload 92,3 C around

but the problem is the FAN Noise
    it is 100% not normal.....

I have HP workstation, Lenovo and DELL which are using 7700, 3770 CPU
    Those CPU Fan noise and Fan activity is not like this acer......

Dell, HP and Lenovo, 7700 CPU heatsink with cooper core, and the CPU noise is not as Acer....

I have upgraded to 2019 latest bios already... it is not bios issue

but heatsink and the CPU fan issue

If you are using this XC-885 / TC-885, try use intel diagnostic tool, you will find the CPU near 100C
    and CPU Fan is 100% run like hell...........

I do want to see any guy have replaced the stock heatsink and fan on their XC-885 / TC-885

• lubu

Guys....

Problem solved!!  I bought a Noctua NH-L9i
    ALL FAN Noise GONE... it is 99% Gone,  I am seroius!!!!!!!
    I must stated I am NOT Noctua Salesman...........

Intel Processor diagnostic tools temperature MAX 90C around now (before is 100C MAX)
    Computer idle 30C something.

The most important is those FAN noise 99% gone even the CPU is 100% full loading test in progress!!

I am pretty sure Acer have chosen the worst FAN supplier and heatsink.
    probably cost issue, but such cost cut is making nightmare to many buyers.......

Check the above photo, installation is easy :-)
    I am a happy man now :)

• lubu

p.s.  I just disassembly the CPU fan and heatsink...  as above photo show.
    my XC-885 is bundle 8700 and GT1050

Acer supplied that heatsink without copper... how can it fulfill 8700 requirement??
    The CPU Fan is cooler master... it like JET Engine when CPU in high loading....
    This should be a defect item.............. How can Acer use those FAN and Heatsink on 8700???

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    lubu,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/HK/content/service-contact

• lubu
    Easwar said:
    lubu,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/HK/content/service-contact

Problem solved....

problem occur because of the low quality bundle CPU Fan and HeatSink

After replaced 3rd one,  all problem gone......
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    lubu said:

Guys....

Problem solved!!  I bought a Noctua NH-L9i
    ALL FAN Noise GONE... it is 99% Gone,  I am seroius!!!!!!!
    I must stated I am NOT Noctua Salesman...........

Intel Processor diagnostic tools temperature MAX 90C around now (before is 100C MAX)
    Computer idle 30C something.

The most important is those FAN noise 99% gone even the CPU is 100% full loading test in progress!!

I am pretty sure Acer have chosen the worst FAN supplier and heatsink.
    probably cost issue, but such cost cut is making nightmare to many buyers.......

Check the above photo, installation is easy :-)
    I am a happy man now :)

Thanks for the pictures and detail and the info on the Intel Processor diagnostic tools temperature
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @lubu

Glad to know that the Noctua NH-L9i for LGA 115X solved your problem, and thanks for reporting the results..

Just curious that the pictures taken showed the motherboard being unseated. I suppose this step can be avoided with the new CPU fan you bought.
    How much time you spend on this project? 
  • lubu
    ttttt said:
    @lubu

Glad to know that the Noctua NH-L9i for LGA 115X solved your problem, and thanks for reporting the results..

Just curious that the pictures taken showed the motherboard being unseated. I suppose this step can be avoided with the new CPU fan you bought.
    How much time you spend on this project? 

Hi

No, this step CANNOT be avoided.....
    As you have to remove the back plate from the mother board
    The black color black plastic plate which show in photo from original acer heatsink.
    The 4 x silver screws from Noctua.

You have to remove the black color plastic back plate from the back of motherboard,  you have no choice to remove the motherboard..
    Remove that blackplate and use 4 x silver screws to mount the Noctua.
    It is not hard to remove and add it back

I have used near 45 minutes around to remove and add it back

I DO suggest ALL TC-885 / TC-886  XC-885 / XC-886 buyers MUST replace the original Fan and Heatsink

Best Regards
    Joe :)

• ttttt
    @lubu

Hmm.... , so this fan design isn't that good too. Some Intel CPU fans just use four big thumb screws and the CPU fan can be detached easily. Just will take a couple minutes just to change the fan without repasting.
    Anyway, you saved a lot of time not needing to assemble a generic CPU fan mount.

I have a TC-885 too, didn't have the need for replacing the CPU fan. I do not use mine with dedicated graphics card and no heavy gaming. You are unlucky to have a bad one.

In case you still feel the temperature still high, you can change for a somewhat overdesigned CPU fan with heat sink that exceeded the  7700 thermal design power (TDP) rating.
  • lubu
    ttttt said:
    @lubu

Hmm.... , so this fan design isn't that good too. Some Intel CPU fans just use four big thumb screws and the CPU fan can be detached easily. Just will take a couple minutes just to change the fan without repasting.
    Anyway, you saved a lot of time not needing to assemble a generic CPU fan mount.

I have a TC-885 too, didn't have the need for replacing the CPU fan. I do not use mine with dedicated graphics card and no heavy gaming. You are unlucky to have a bad one.

In case you still feel the temperature still high, you can change for a somewhat overdesigned CPU fan with heat sink that exceeded the  7700 thermal design power (TDP) rating.

Yes, that acer backplace is for acer only,  so have to remove it
    if keep that blackplace there, it is not possible to use other CPU heatsink on top.

Are you using 8700 or 8700k in your TC-885?
    you download intel diagnostic tool and test
    you will find the fan and temperature issue.

and yes, if you are not draw the CPU over 65%, the fan is quiet and no temperature issue :-)
    for youtube, msoffice...etc
    the stock CPU heatsink is fine.

• ttttt
    @Lubu
    My  TC-885-UA91 has i3-9100 CPU (65W TDP) , Intel B360 chipset. Got different utility programs to monitor temperatures and never have problems with CPU temperatures. The most demanding time will be for some light duty video editing and some large chunk data copying. Normally I'll worry about the M.2 NVMe SSD temperature more than the TC-885 CPU temperature.

My newly build PC having i5-11500 CPU ( 65 W rated TDP) is known to have high temperatures so I use an over design heat sink/ CPU fan with 200W TDP  for it.  CPU temperature stay reasonably cool.
  • W0ZZA
    W0ZZA Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Many thanks for this thread @Lubu.

I've ordered a NH-L9i. Looking forward to FINALLY sorting out this major noise/fan problem!
  • lubu
    W0ZZA said:

I've ordered a NH-L9i. Looking forward to FINALLY sorting out this major noise/fan problem!

Remember remove the original backplate
  • W0ZZA

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    lubu said:
    W0ZZA said:

Yep, done - BUT looks like I need some spacers to mount the new fan. Is that right? What size should they be?

Or can I just use any rubber washers?

Image shows the gap between screw hole and motherboard…

• W0ZZA

Tinkerer

Also, should it be mounted with the jet/name downwards (towards gfx card?)
  • lubu
    W0ZZA said:
    lubu said:
    W0ZZA said:

Yep, done - BUT looks like I need some spacers to mount the new fan. Is that right? What size should they be?

Or can I just use any rubber washers?

Image shows the gap between screw hole and motherboard…

As you can see from the photos which I attached above.
    just remove the original backplate,  and use those bundle big silver screws x 4 to mount it to the heatsink directly, not necessary to add any extra rubber or backplate, just do remember do not screw too tight..... and then job done :)
  • W0ZZA

Tinkerer

Thanks @lubu

I realised after I sent the message that the thumbscrews would work without spacers.

It feels odd that the heatseat exhaust points down, towards the graphics card - but seems to work ok.

I copied your test - see below.  :)

Anyway, MANY thanks for your advice in this thread. My computer is quiet. My marriage is saved! 

(I should have done this two years ago!!!)

• lubu
    W0ZZA said:
    Thanks @lubu

I realised after I sent the message that the thumbscrews would work without spacers.

It feels odd that the heatseat exhaust points down, towards the graphics card - but seems to work ok.

I copied your test - see below.  :)

Anyway, MANY thanks for your advice in this thread. My computer is quiet. My marriage is saved! 

(I should have done this two years ago!!!)

Good News :-)
    p.s. I forgot to tell you which should use Noctua NT-H1 / NT-H2, those tier one cooling paste can make the temperature drop 1-2 degree more.

To be honest... I do believe those fan have design fault or below cpu fan standard...........
    I have Lenovo and Dell PC in office.... only Acer have this problem....

• W0ZZA

Tinkerer

lubu said:

Good News :-)
    p.s. I forgot to tell you which should use Noctua NT-H1 / NT-H2, those tier one cooling paste can make the temperature drop 1-2 degree more.

To be honest... I do believe those fan have design fault or below cpu fan standard...........
    I have Lenovo and Dell PC in office.... only Acer have this problem....

Ah, 1-2 degree is no problem. My home heating was on earlier, when I took the screenshot. Idle temp is down from 50 to 38 degrees, which is fine, I think. I'll keep monitoring it, though.

And, yes, I agree - the original fan was not fit for purpose. The PC sounded like a jet even when I was doing slightly demanding tasks (eg photo editing). It's actually very very weird hearing nothing now!!

PS Why does your "Power" show just 1.3W, when mine is 17-19W?!
This discussion has been closed.