Acer aspire 6 with Windows 10 stuck on black screen with mouse pointer and small flashing blue buffe

bristolsparky
bristolsparky Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Acer aspire 6 with Windows 10 stuck on black screen with mouse pointer and small flashing blue buffering symbol while trying to boot up. Have tried restarting my computer several times.

When powering up I get in the top LH corner. "The operating system didn't shut down cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata. Then eight command lines below it all ending in done or 100%. Then the Acer word appears with white buffering circle. Then Acer disappears and just mouse pointer appears with a very small flashing blue buffering symbol next to it. And it stays like that stuck on that point. The screen might go off after time and if I touch the mouse pad then the mouse pointer reappears with a very small flashing blue buffering symbol next to it.

(I often use a usb wireless mouse - but having that plugged in or not makes no difference- tried restarting it with or without it).

Help

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Press and hold power button till laptop shuts off. Unplug charger. Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for about a minute. Plug charger back in. Try to turn it on again.

Jack E/NJ

• bristolsparky

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Press and hold power button till laptop shuts off. Unplug charger. Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for about a minute. Plug charger back in. Try to turn it on again.
    Hi JackE - I've tried that (reset battery pinhole for one minute)... Charger back in but still the same problem. Thanks 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    bristolsparky,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • bristolsparky

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    bristolsparky,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
    Hi Easwar.
    Thanks but sadly didn't work.
    Followed your steps 1-7 and the unit restarted.
    It restarted without the message in the top LH corner. ("The operating system didn't shut down cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata. Then eight command lines below it all ending in done or 100%.)
    So I was hopeful.
     Then the Acer word appears with white buffering circle.
    Still hopeful
    But Then Acer disappears and just mouse pointer appears with a very small flashing blue buffering symbol next to it.
    ☹️
    Any other ideas please....
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue, is to try the ALT+F10 erase-everything cold boot OEM factory reset from the hiidden ACER recovery partition. Press and hold the power button again till the machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. The OEM reset menu screen should appear. Follow screen instructions

Jack E/NJ