blue screen Aspire 5742 formatted my main HDD

VYGON1
VYGON1 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops

Hi There,i have had help on here a few weeks ago when i accidentally  formatted my main HDD if the people that helped me then are reading this and if i have not thanked you yet, then thank you all for your help.  And so my next problem after the help from the last time i did manage to get windows 7 ultimate on and running except that i could not connect to the internet, no matter what i done i even turned off the firewall, just in case it was that, but that’s not the problem either, but i will figure that one out eventually. This is however the problem i have at the moment. I wanted to install a original copy of windows XP and thought that i would just do a clean install from the dvd inserted the disc and a few seconds later i got a blue screen the first one i have ever had, so thought it was the hard drive and i had a new ssd so tried that and got the same result, photo attached. dont know what configured and terminated means So my question is this, is this the end of my Acer aspire 5742 (no letter just 5742) or can it be sorted.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>clean install from the dvd inserted the disc>>>

I think your XP installation DVD is meant to be installed on a much older machine with IDE HDDs or SSDs, not for SATA3 HDDs & SSDs.  If you have older 32-bit programs and apps and even some hardware that only seem to run properly under the XP environment, then you're probably better off trying a 32-bit XP installation under a free VMWare Workstation Player.download. I run 32-bit Win98SE, WinXP, and SuSE Linux from a single old netbook under a later 64-bit Windows host.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    VYGON1,

Plz update us once unit back from repair. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>> so going to buy win10 and this will run on the laptop made sure.>>>

Thanks for reporting back. Please realize that while Win10 may run, it is still not 100% guaranteed to run without any software driver issues due to the age of this laptop. This laptop was originally certified to run Win7HomePremium with Win8x driver updates available. Best of luck with getting Win10 to work satisfactorily.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Likely not the end. But why now XP?

Jack E/NJ

• VYGON1

Tinkerer

no specific reason i always liked XP and i only really use the acer for Music and storing my photographs on and making video of the family photo usingA Roxy program
  • VYGON1

Tinkerer

nice to talk to you again
  • JackE
    Well, for starters, WinXP isn't expecting to encounter an HDD with an unknown operating system. Is the HDD wiped clean?

Jack E/NJ

• Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    VYGON1please tell me modern name of unit 
  • JackE

Thanks. This is an older Win7/WinVista era BIOS-based laptop Aspire 5742.

Jack E/NJ

• VYGON1

Tinkerer

yes its just an Aspire 5742 no letter after the model nunber
  • VYGON1

Tinkerer

I also had a new ssd that i tried to install on to that with the same result, same blue screen, SSD drive was formated and recognised by the laptop.  
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>clean install from the dvd inserted the disc>>>

I think your XP installation DVD is meant to be installed on a much older machine with IDE HDDs or SSDs, not for SATA3 HDDs & SSDs.  If you have older 32-bit programs and apps and even some hardware that only seem to run properly under the XP environment, then you're probably better off trying a 32-bit XP installation under a free VMWare Workstation Player.download. I run 32-bit Win98SE, WinXP, and SuSE Linux from a single old netbook under a later 64-bit Windows host.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
  • VYGON1

Tinkerer

thank you i will give it a go but i think something is seriously wrong with my laptop settings also i was speaking with a tech guy and he told me that my laptop was never intended to take windows 7 ultimate so stuck between a rock and a hard place. But i feel the more i tinkle with it the worse it is getting so i think i will stop  and just put it into a shop for repair  
  • JackE
    You should be able ro run Win7 Home Premium without any issues. 

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Answer ✓
    VYGON1,

Plz update us once unit back from repair. 
  • JackE
    You should be able ro run Win7 Home Premium without any issues. 

Jack E/NJ

• VYGON1

Tinkerer

Hi JackE,
    Just a wee update for you, but thank you again for all the help you gave me. But i just could not get the BSOD resolved no matter what i tried. Then the the internet connection stopped connecting, and other things stoped working as well, so decided to stop fiddling around with it, just in case i totally screwed it up to the point where it was just scrap. So i put it into a shop this morning the guy said he would give me a call this afternoon, well he called and apparently, i have left parts of old operating systems on the HDD and thats the reason i was getting all the problems told me he would have to format and repartion the HDD as when i done it a couple days ago thinking that this would help. But i left lots of really small partions and that some of them contained bits of old operating programs (witch i totaly belive as i tried to repartion the drive a day or two ago. Also going to stop messing about with old unsecured op system's so going to buy win10 and this will run on the laptop made sure.
     So again thank you for all your help
    Vygon1
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>> so going to buy win10 and this will run on the laptop made sure.>>>

Thanks for reporting back. Please realize that while Win10 may run, it is still not 100% guaranteed to run without any software driver issues due to the age of this laptop. This laptop was originally certified to run Win7HomePremium with Win8x driver updates available. Best of luck with getting Win10 to work satisfactorily.

Jack E/NJ