issue with pc motherboard upgrades

hello im having hard time figuring out which model i have since im trying upgrade my bios and other softwares for some reason im not understanding and bios always resets too i have a GA-Q85M-D2A motherboard boots as aceri have i7 4790K cpu in it too so i wanna find out which upgrades it supports so please help me out i cant find this motherboard info anywwhere. thank you

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The BIOS should display the Acer model number and it's also available in System Information in Windows. We don't have a cross reference for motherboard numbers, they are in a different format on Acer's parts lists. Why are you trying to upgrade the BIOS? Typically the 4th gen systems can upgrade to other 4th gen CPUs as long as your keep the TDP the same. Putting a higher TDP in will require more cooling.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    @IAmHeroForFun
    could you please tell me modern name of unit 

• IAmHeroForFun
    IAmHeroForFun Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    billsey said:
    The BIOS should display the Acer model number and it's also available in System Information in Windows. We don't have a cross reference for motherboard numbers, they are in a different format on Acer's parts lists. Why are you trying to upgrade the BIOS? Typically the 4th gen systems can upgrade to other 4th gen CPUs as long as your keep the TDP the same. Putting a higher TDP in will require more cooling.
    no no like bios boots very slow and cpu fan never stops  spinning i power on from wall pc starts spinning i  donno when its off settings always reset on everyboot maybe something is going on im not overclocking i just want to make it work good resettings everyday is pain thats all if i could get manuals and drivers for GA-Q85M-D2A would be nice and i cant find any where i cant find acer model number it just shows acer veriton thats all i could find.

@IAmHeroForFun
    could you please tell me modern name of unit 

i didnt understand what you mean sir i only know its GA-Q85M-D2A motherboard 
    boots as acer veriton i dont see numbers.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    hello im having hard time figuring out which model i have since im trying upgrade my bios and other softwares for some reason im not understanding and bios always resets too i have a GA-Q85M-D2A motherboard boots as aceri have i7 4790K cpu in it too so i wanna find out which upgrades it supports so please help me out i cant find this motherboard info anywwhere. thank you
    IAmHeroForFun the GA-Q85M-D2A (use this link forall BIOS and drivers) is a Gigabite motherboard and its last BIOS's update is the version F7 dated 2015/08/21 and titled "1. Update CPU microcode for win10 support with Pentium AE" and its flashed with  the "Efiflash.exe" file. The link that I've given you has all the BIOS updates and all the drivers that this motherboard needs as its only available from Gigabite not from Acer. Which Acer model desktop has got this mobo is in it? Give us the Acer model number, nit the motherboard number!  As its a bit strange that a Gigabite mobo is in an Acer desktop model?

Btw, this motherboard has the following specs:
    • Supports 4th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
    • GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ 4 Plus Technology
    • GIGABYTE UEFI BIOS
    • GIGABYTE 333™ Onboard Acceleration (USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 & 3x USB Power)
    • GIGABYTE On/Off Charge™ for USB devices
    • Dual Intel® LAN with high ESD Protection
    • DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4, DVI-I, DVI-D
    • Intel® Small Business Advantage
    • Intel® vPro technology

• IAmHeroForFun

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    IAmHeroForFun the GA-Q85M-D2A (use this link forall BIOS and drivers) is a Gigabite motherboard and its last BIOS's update is the version F7 dated 2015/08/21 and titled "1. Update CPU microcode for win10 support with Pentium AE" and its flashed with  the "Efiflash.exe" file. The link that I've given you has all the BIOS updates and all the drivers that this motherboard needs as its only available from Gigabite not from Acer. Which Acer model desktop has got this mobo is in it? Give us the Acer model number, nit the motherboard number!  As its a bit strange that a Gigabite mobo is in an Acer desktop model?

Btw, this motherboard has the following specs:
    • Supports 4th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
    • GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ 4 Plus Technology
    • GIGABYTE UEFI BIOS
    • GIGABYTE 333™ Onboard Acceleration (USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 & 3x USB Power)
    • GIGABYTE On/Off Charge™ for USB devices
    • Dual Intel® LAN with high ESD Protection
    • DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4, DVI-I, DVI-D
    • Intel® Small Business Advantage
    • Intel® vPro technology

i donno the Acer specific model number since its not showing anywhere all i could figure out was motherboard model which i couldnt find anywhere and the motherboard link you provided its GA-B85M-D2V it looks different and dosnt have HDMI port either and this https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D3H-rev-20#ov motherboard lookwise is same as i have Q85M-D2A since its B85 one i didnt do anything i donno much about about it other then looking at proper numbers since i dont wanna mess up i tried alot to find acer model number couldnt find any. 
  • billsey
    Acer doesn't use Gigabyte motherboards. Likely it has been replaced at some time...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IAmHeroForFun

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Acer doesn't use Gigabyte motherboards. Likely it has been replaced at some time...
    it boots as acer and has acer logo on the motherboard too thats why i tried asking help here.
  • billsey
    OK, I'm coming up with some results, though they aren't being too helpful. The Acer Veriton M200-Q87 seems to be a Linpus Linux model Acer assembled for some Asia markets. Perhaps for a specific vendor? Anyway I don't have access to any documentation for them, so likely wasn't offered directly through the Acer channels. Crucial has info on memory upgrades for it, it looks like they are DDR3 PC3-12800 sticks and up to 8GB per slot, so 32GB maximum. You are already at the maximum for the processor. No M.2 SSD slot, the design is really too old for that. There is a space for a WiFi card and it looks like miniPCIe but I can't be sure of that unless Gigabyte has the spec. The system is old enough that it's probably easier to replace than upgrade. What is lacking in it right now for you? Likely the biggest bump would be replacing a HDD with SSD.
  • IAmHeroForFun

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    OK, I'm coming up with some results, though they aren't being too helpful. The Acer Veriton M200-Q87 seems to be a Linpus Linux model Acer assembled for some Asia markets. Perhaps for a specific vendor? Anyway I don't have access to any documentation for them, so likely wasn't offered directly through the Acer channels. Crucial has info on memory upgrades for it, it looks like they are DDR3 PC3-12800 sticks and up to 8GB per slot, so 32GB maximum. You are already at the maximum for the processor. No M.2 SSD slot, the design is really too old for that. There is a space for a WiFi card and it looks like miniPCIe but I can't be sure of that unless Gigabyte has the spec. The system is old enough that it's probably easier to replace than upgrade. What is lacking in it right now for you? Likely the biggest bump would be replacing a HDD with SSD.
    i see currently i have issue with motherboard is no matter what i do BIOS always resets the next day when i turn on pc i changed Cmos cell
    i even saved BIOS saved profile and today it disappeared so it got erased too i just donno how this motherboard works bcz when i turn on power from wall CPU fan and case fan starts spinning and i just couldnt find the fixes for it if i had manual it would be help thank you i got SSD 8Gig ram and HDD too i can increse ram soon but which kind of BIOS issue its pain like always resets.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @IAmHeroForFun

If you have replaced the CR2032 battery and the problem persist , I'll say the motherboard is going.

I  retired one PC last year that could not retain the BIOS settings, after replacing the CMOS battery several times.
  • IAmHeroForFun

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    ttttt said:
    @IAmHeroForFun

If you have replaced the CR2032 battery and the problem persist , I'll say the motherboard is going.

I  retired one PC last year that could not retain the BIOS settings, after replacing the CMOS battery several times.
    even i changed multiple cmos cell i guess i have to save money so how long can this motherboard without Cmos cell can last i dont want dying out when need in most any guess?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @IAmHeroForFun

My retired PC was still working other than wrong clock and BIOS info could not be retained.
    If these symptoms do not bother you that much, maybe your PC can still last for a while.
    Be sure to backup all your data, as you won't know when it will fail totally.

Anyway, it is time to save up and start looking for a new PC . Acer Aspire XC-1660G-UW93 seemed to be a good one to consider.