Touch pad getting disabled randomly, I fix it, but later goes back to being disabled. AN515-54-728C.

Options
Ts638
Ts638 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I have an acer AN515-54-728C.
Firstly this issue didn't appear till about 2 months later when randomly the touchpad stopped working and the touch pad had seemingly disappeared as the touchpad settings tab in windows was gone and the device in device manager would be gone. My first thought was to get new drivers so I went to the page where I could download the appropriate drive for my system for the touchpad and downloaded it. That didn't fix it. Eventually the fix I came to was going to The Registry Edit tool and going to: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and changing EnableCursorSuppresion value from 1 to 0 and after restarting my system it fixed and the touchpad was working again. But after about 20 or 30 mins it stopped working again and I would have to go back change the value back to 1, Restart, change it back to 0, Restart, and then it would be fixed again. I'm wondering what going on or what could be occur that is disabling the touchpad. Any help as too what could cause this or ways to fix this would be great.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• William_mk2
    Options
    @Ts638

Before installing the touchpad driver you have to install the i/o drivers first to make it to work. 

Please look at the key f6 and f7 key on keyboard .    You can see the hand symbol with fingers .   That denotes the touchpad function key.   On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7.    So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model .   If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work.     

On some old laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is beow the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button.   On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad. 

If you would like to disable and enable the touchpad, please press and hold  fn key on the keyboard and then press f6 or f7 once.    If the touchpad is not getting disabled you can either press f6 alone or f7 alone without holding the fn key.      It is used to enable or disable the touchpad..    

After disabling and enabling the touchpad check how it is working.. 

If it is still not working 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Ts638
    Options
    @William_mk2 I have already done both of these things and they have not done anything.
  • William_mk2
    Options
    @Ts638

Some times a simple system restore will fix the issue.    We can create a new user - set it as admin and check.    We can always do a refresh or reset on your computer to fix the issue.

Try windows + x
    chose powershell admin or command prompt admin
    Type rstrui
    chose an earlier date on which it was working fine.
    click on finish and yes.
    It will restore your computer to an earlier date on which it was working fine.

Kindly follow the details from link

Windows 10: Add a new user account - Acer Community

Using Recovery Management outside of Windows - Acer Community

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• IffetsK
    IffetsK Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    @Ts638

Please try setting HID Input Services to Automatic in services. 

Steps:
    Press Windows+r, and type in Services.msc
    Scroll to HID Input Service, double click on it and maker sure it is "Automatic" under the Starup Type option. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY

• Ts638
    Options
    @IffetsK It seems I'm missing that service entirely
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Ts638,

# Try to update the mice and other pointing device driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option mice and other pointing device driver.
    4. Under the title mice and other pointing device driver.
    Fix Dell Touchpad Driver Issue for Windows 7 - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title mice and other pointing device driver.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • Ts638
    Options
    @Easwar I stated in the original post that I have already done this.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Ts638,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​