Acer Aspire TC-885 - Cannot disable always on USB ports

Options
JamesER
JamesER Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi,

I got my daughter an Acer Aspire TC-885 a couple of years ago, and it was running a bit slow, so I upgraded it with an SSD I had from a previous PC. This was a from a HP PC, so it had a copy of Windows 10 on it, and obviously all of the HP drivers. However after plugging it in it, everything seemed to be working fine.

The issue is that all of the USB ports are now always on, even when the PC is off. This is an issue because she has some USB powered speakers, and they glow with a blue light, which is both wasting electricity and annoys her when she tries to sleep. I think I previously turned the always on functionality off, but I can't remember how, and all of the answers I find on here don't seem to work.

I've tried enabling and disabling the 'USB Selective Suspend' feature in Windows 10.  I've also tried installing the Acer Quick Access Panel, but the option for disabling always on USBs is not there. I've also been into the BIOS, but there's no option that I can see for disabling always on USB functionality in there.

Is there a particular driver I'm missing that means the Quick Access Panel doesn't display the option? Or is there something else I've missed for making sure the USB ports turn off when the PC does?

Thanks in advance,

James

Best Answer

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,439 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It should ENABLED. Next try "Toggle Fast Start" 

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @JamesER,

Check the USB drivers in device managers and update it.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    Go to Bios, Power then enable Deep Power Off Mode. 
  • JamesER
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

Disabling Deep Power mode in the BIOS hasn't had any effect.

I've looked at updating the USB drivers, and just checked again, but they're the generic ones that Windows gives you, and they're up to date. I can't find any specifically for the TC-885 anywhere. The support page doesn't seem to have any USB drivers available.

Thanks,

James
  • Larryodie
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It should ENABLED. Next try "Toggle Fast Start" 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    Fast Start is where it's usually handled. Windows leaves power on the the USB ports when in Fast Start mode, so they don't have to be initialized when coming up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JamesER
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry, I was busy last night and didn't have time to check this.

I can confirm that enabling 'Deep power off mode' in the BIOS and disabling Fast Start mode in Windows has fixed it, the USBs now power down.

Thanks for all your help.

James