Replace display on Acer Switch 5 SW512-52 (N17PS)

Switch5
Switch5 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hello all,

I am trying to replace a cracked display on my Acer Switch 5 SW512-52 (N17PS). I have successfully removed the damaged display and am trying to fit a replacement display I bought. There are two connectors, a small one at the top and a larger one at the bottom, which looks like 2x20pin.

This larger one is really awkward to connect as you have to press the connections together, which I am finding impossible to do as you have to press on the display and the connector on the Switch is essentially floating on its ribbon, mean I cannot get a locking connection.

Please see images of the Switch without the display and also the back of the replacement display, along with close ups of the connections.

Can anyone offer advice?

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
  • Switch5
    Easwar said:
    Thanks for this. Yes, it is a hardware issue - screen replacement. I was trying replace the screen myself and save a lot of money. But I can try to contact Acer to see if they can offer any technical advice. I was hoping someone in the community had done a screen replacement on an Acer Switch 5 who would have the know-how.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Are you sure you purchased the correct screen? Acer's part number for yours is: 6M.LDTN5.001. The LCM FPC cable should just push fit together, unless they don't match in some way. I think the other cable is for the touch assembly integrated into the display, and it should also go together fairly easily.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Switch5
    billsey said:
    Are you sure you purchased the correct screen? Acer's part number for yours is: 6M.LDTN5.001. The LCM FPC cable should just push fit together, unless they don't match in some way. I think the other cable is for the touch assembly integrated into the display, and it should also go together fairly easily.

Thanks. I hope I did! It was from Amazon when you search "Acer Switch 5 replacement screen". The item is described as "12inch Lcd Touch Screen Assembly for Acer Switch 5 SW512-52 N17P5". It's not genuine Acer, but a third party. The other cable (at the top) does fit easily into the integrated circuit board. The LCM FPC one, as you put it, almost push fits, but because the cable is sort of floating, I think that when I push down on the screen where the connector is, the cable is pushed down too, so doesn't lock into the screen's connector.
  • billsey
    The service guide isn't a lot of help, here what they say:
    Replace the LCM FPC on LCD Module and connect the LCM FPC to LCD module and motherboard.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Switch5
    billsey said:
    billsey, you were right. It should just snap together. I have realised that there is a tiny bit of damage to the connector on the Switch, stoping it from staying connected to the connector on the screen. I know this because I have a second Switch 5, which also has screen damage and I was able to fit the screen and get it working on this one. Unfortunately, while the screen does light up and allow you to use the computer, the touch screen element is not working. I have tried connecting the cable for the touch screen (at the top) both ways (by rotating 180 degrees), but I can only get it to fully connect one way round. Wondering if I need to download a driver, but the supplier is not being helpful with any information here.
  • billsey
    Fire up Device Manager on it to see if any devices are acting bad. It might the chipset driver or the serial IO driver...
  • intelcom
    intelcom Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think you should contact to support of acer,they will guide you completely in deep details.
  • ronenfe
    ronenfe Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Where did you get a service guide?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,234 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023

IMO replacing a laptop screen is not a DIY job, no matter how many good advice you get from the Acer community. Browse this forum and see how many successful panel replacements have been accomplished: Zilch. Everyone ended up turning in their laptop to a repair shop at high costs or had to ditch the laptop because of a broken MOBO as the result of the botched repair. Leave professional repairs of laptops like MOBO, keyboard and panel replacements to the competent technicians at Acer Services in your country who have full access to Acer's resources, I would not even trust a good PC repair shop for such a job. It may cost up to $200 to replace a 17" screen but if the hinge assembly is also starting to act up you may as well replace that too for a little bit more money. 😉