Aspire V3-371 display dies after clicking the power drain button

poonxal
poonxal Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi there! 👋🏼

I own an Aspire V3-371, and it's a great little machine, I still use it to this day.

Now, I was trying to add an EFI application to the boot menu but it won't add itself so I tried to open it, and tried to find the CMOS battery, but it wasn't there.

So, I held the power drain button. Big mistake! After holding it down, the computer won't boot and the display flickers at a very low brightness. When pointing at it using a flashlight, it seems like that it is flashing green.

The fans are spinning and so is the hard drive, but dead display and no output to the HDMI port.

I really love this machine and don't really have the money for a new one right now. Any solutions?

Any help is appreciated! 

//Edited the content to add model name.

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    >>>Now, I was trying to add an EFI application to the boot menu but it won't add itself so I tried to open it, and tried to find the CMOS battery, but it wasn't there.>>>

Hold on! Exactly what thing did you try to open? EFI changes are made to a hidden partition of the boot drive, not the BIOS chip or the BIOS firmware. What EFI application are you referring too? If the EFI application attempts to modify the BIOS firmware, this could very well brick the machine.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @poonxal,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
  • poonxal
    edited September 2021
    JackE said:
    >>>Now, I was trying to add an EFI application to the boot menu but it won't add itself so I tried to open it, and tried to find the CMOS battery, but it wasn't there.>>>

Hold on! Exactly what thing did you try to open? EFI changes are made to a hidden partition of the boot drive, not the BIOS chip or the BIOS firmware. What EFI application are you referring too? If the EFI application attempts to modify the BIOS firmware, this could very well brick the machine.
    I opened the back of the laptop to try and remove the CMOS battery as my EFI application did not get added. The EFI application I am reffering to is my own creation, and all it does is spit "Hello world" to the screen.
  • poonxal
    Easwar said:
    Hi @poonxal,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
    Yes I am, the laptop also appears to be on but the screen is flickering and won't boot.
  • JackE
    >>>The EFI application I am reffering to is my own creation, and all it does is spit "Hello world" to the screen. >>>

OK. Let me try to ask my earlier questions in another way.

(1) Did you modify the boot drive's trusted EFI files that the BIOS must read?

----OR----

(2) Did you modify the BIOS reader itself?

Jack E/NJ

• poonxal
    JackE said:
    >>>The EFI application I am reffering to is my own creation, and all it does is spit "Hello world" to the screen. >>>

OK. Let me try to ask my earlier questions in another way.

(1) Did you modify the boot drive's trusted EFI files that the BIOS must read?

----OR----

(2) Did you modify the BIOS reader itself?
    I modified the boot drive's trusted EFI files. Modifying the BIOS reader itself would be too advanced for me haha
  • JackE
    >>>So, I held the power drain button. >>>

(1) Press and hold power button till machine completely shuts off.
    (2) Unplug charger. 
    (3) Insert paper clip into reset pinhole on the bottom again for 60 seconds
    (4) Plug charger back in but wait for battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue
    (5) After turning steady blue, press and hold the F2 key.
    (6) While still holding the F2 key, press the power button to turn the machine on
    (7) The BIOS menu may or may not appear but still hold the F2 key for about a minute.
    (8) Release F2 key.
    (9) Then press F9 key one time.
    (10) Then press F10 key one time.
    (11) Then press ENTER key one time.

If the GPU is still OK, the screen should re-appear.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Hi @poonxal,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

• JackE
    >>>So, I held the power drain button. >>>

(1) Press and hold power button till machine completely shuts off.
    (2) Unplug charger. 
    (3) Insert paper clip into reset pinhole on the bottom again for 60 seconds
    (4) Plug charger back in but wait for battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue
    (5) After turning steady blue, press and hold the F2 key.
    (6) While still holding the F2 key, press the power button to turn the machine on
    (7) The BIOS menu may or may not appear but still hold the F2 key for about a minute.
    (8) Release F2 key.
    (9) Then press F9 key one time.
    (10) Then press F10 key one time.
    (11) Then press ENTER key one time.

If the GPU is still OK, the screen should re-appear.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Hi @poonxal, 

Is there any update.Â