Acer Aspire 5 515-56-52SH 1th Gen i5 8gb Ram Upgrade?

Carlyon1
Carlyon1 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I have recently purchased the 2021 July Edition Acer Aspire 5 11thGen i5 with 8gb ddr4 3200mhz Ram 4gig soldered & 4 Gig Swappable with 256g nvme WD. Model no. A515-56-52SH.

I would like to know if It will support upgrade to 8gb or upto 16gb ram upgrade to a total of 20gb ram and if doing so will support dual channel. Will this 16gb ram linked below be compatible? 

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/memory/sodimm/85124-ct16g4sfs832a?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZCKBhBkEiwAM4qfF54cUJMHQqHx52Q4IX2ruFzhdbnS4u25oUuPTWSdwQ0S4uF5WFeAgxoCZtEQAvD_BwE

or if any knows which ram would be suitable. thanks

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Yes, it should support up to 16GB DDR4 sodimm 2666MHz or 3200MHz module for a total of 20GB RAM. So I can also recommend the 3200MHz Crucial/Micron sodimm that you posted. 2666MHz would be fine too since your bus should be 1333MHz maximum speed, or 2666MHz for double data rate modules. The specs don't list the RAM bus as being dual channel capable. But there is very little noticeable difference between dual and single channel operation with DDR4 modules. You can use either.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Carlyon1,

Memory Speed2666MHz (PC4-21300) 2400MHz (PC4-19200)
    Number Of Memory Sockets2
    Maximum Memory16GB
    Maximum Memory Per Slot8GB
  • JackE
    Yes, it should support up to 16GB DDR4 sodimm 2666MHz or 3200MHz module for a total of 20GB RAM. So I can also recommend the 3200MHz Crucial/Micron sodimm that you posted. 2666MHz would be fine too since your bus should be 1333MHz maximum speed, or 2666MHz for double data rate modules. The specs don't list the RAM bus as being dual channel capable. But there is very little noticeable difference between dual and single channel operation with DDR4 modules. You can use either.

Jack E/NJ

• Carlyon1

Tinkerer

Thanks Guys, Yes the Newer Model Released in July This Year has a 4Gb Soldered with a 4GB Sodimm Slot, Enaabling a total of 20gb, Unlike the Older Model allowing upto 16gb by way of 8gb Soldered and 8gb Sodimm, I just needed to know which one suited most Manufacturers of Ram havnt not listed the Newer July Release Acer Apsire 515-56 intel 11th Gen Edition Laptop on thier Card listings. Thanks for the Feedback Really Appreciate. Cheers :)
  • Carlyon1

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @Carlyon1,

Memory Speed2666MHz (PC4-21300) 2400MHz (PC4-19200)
    Number Of Memory Sockets2
    Maximum Memory16GB
    Maximum Memory Per Slot8GB
    Thanks, But my July Edition Model has the 4gb Sodimm with 4gb Soldered, Apparently enabling 16gb of ddr4 3200mhz Ram just needed to if these would suit
  • Carlyon1

Tinkerer

Thanks for Clearing That Up 1 Last thing if anyone can help what is the Diferrence between these two Sodimm Ram Stick I cant find any difference but they priced very differently.

Crucial CT16G4SFRA32A 16gb Sodimm vs Crucial CT16G4SFS832A 16gb Sodimm
  • Carlyon1

Tinkerer

As you can see this Model & Info Specs Sheet doesnt give me much on this for the different Ram models and neither does Crucial Website.

Laptop Model Sepcs my Laptop https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2020/4876/A515-56/NX.A19SA.00A.html
  • Carlyon1

Tinkerer

As you can see this is the Newer A515 Board just incase. Cheers
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Carlyon1

If the photos provided are from your laptop, then the user replaceable RAM slot is already occupied by this 4 GB module ( 4GB soldered + 4GB from the module as indicated by the photo = 8GB total). Dual channel capabilities already enabled. 

To further upgrade the RAM, you may need to discard the 4GB module indicated by the photo and then replace with another one with up to 16 GB, 3200 MHz. In doing RAM upgrades, I 'll always match the spec of the original RAM, but need not be from the same manufacturer. That should bring the RAM to 20GB, the maximum allowed for your laptop.
  • JackE
    Just run the Crucial scanner on your machine to see what it comes up with.

Jack E/NJ

• Carlyon1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Ok Great I'll do that thanks for this
  • Carlyon1

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @Carlyon1

If the photos provided are from your laptop, then the user replaceable RAM slot is already occupied by this 4 GB module ( 4GB soldered + 4GB from the module as indicated by the photo = 8GB total). Dual channel capabilities already enabled. 

To further upgrade the RAM, you may need to discard the 4GB module indicated by the photo and then replace with another one with up to 16 GB, 3200 MHz. In doing RAM upgrades, I 'll always match the spec of the original RAM, but need not be from the same manufacturer. That should bring the RAM to 20GB, the maximum allowed for your laptop.
    Yes this is the Photo of my laptop internals, Thanks for that. Been working on Pc Desktops for years but Laptops and Ram always puzzle me in differrent configs. Cheers
  • Carlyon1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I ran the Crucial Max Update Scanner and it can up with the Crucial CT16G4SFD832A which the same config but different serial no to the ones listed above strange? But thats what it says is compatible so yea. Not sure if there is a difference between the Crucial CT16G4SFD832A & the Crucial C16G4SFS832A? /  FD instead of FS not shaw what the difference is as I can not find a FD version in Australia Online.

• Carlyon1

Tinkerer

OK so it turns out that the FD is the Dual Ranked Sodimm & the FS is the Single Ranked Version
  • Carlyon1

Tinkerer

Apprently although Dual Ranked is slightly slower than Single Ranked Sodimm Ram the Current Soldered Sodimm is Dual Ranked So I'm pretty sure I have to run the Dual Ranked x2 FD version of ddr4 Ram for best comaptibiltiy can someone please confrim this thanks heaps for the help guys
  • JackE
    It should. But due to it's higher frequency than earlier DDR specification, DDR4 is sort of touchy, So, yes, it's worth trying dual rank if the Crucial scanner recommends it. But sorry, no 100% guarantees from me. :)

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Carlyon1

If I were you, if the Memory section of Win 10 Task manager indicates you still have comfortable RAM reserve, I'll just let it be until the need of more RAM arise.
    You are using dual channel RAM already running at 3200 MHz.

Different people have different needs. I just upgraded my laptop to 8 GB total, just to enable dual channel capability.