Aspire TC-885 m.2 SSD screw problem

Options
Tweety39
Tweety39 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
Hello. My internal SSD of Aspire TC-885 suddenly died a while ago and I finally bought a new SSD.
I was so excited to install a new SSD and I ran into a big problem.
Long story short, the tiny screw doesn't come off. I am afraid that I ruined the screw head.
I tried to put a rubber band and latex glove over the head but it doesn't work.
I have #1, #0, #00 Phillip drivers and I used #0.
Could someone help me? I have no idea what to do... Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• Tweety39
    Options
    This is how it looks.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You may have to use an easy out extractor or VERY carefully drill it out. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You have plenty of connection left. Likely the driver you used wasn't a very good one. Try a #1 phillips with more downward pressure when trying to loosen it. A JIS cross bit would be better, but they are less common in many countries. The phillips bits have a curved surface, the JIS have straight surfaces.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    JIS ? I had never knew the name for those bits but they're very much worth having as many years ago when I had Japanese motorcycles, I had bought an impact driver with those bits. You'd hit it with a hammer to get screws out but it had a knack of getting troublesome screws out of electronic units that I repair thru the years.  A bit worth having. Amazon has some sets with handles too. I think that Tweety39 can use a small flat blade screwdriver to extract ? 

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-NO-250001-Impact-Driver-No-250001/dp/B001WHOV64/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jis+impact&qid=1632002513&s=automotive&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jis+screwdriver&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Tweety39
    Options
    Thank you so much for your answer, Larryodie and billsey!  <3
    Since I don't have any extra tool, the only think I could do right away was to ask one of my friends to come over and take a look... and he managed to take it out!! billsey should be right, my screw driver was not good and the way I used the driver was not right. 
    Thank you for providing the link to amazon, Larryodie. 
    Luckily I didn't have to buy that tool this time, but it may come handy if I run into a similar problem and the information is helpful for the people who have the same problem.
    Thank you so much again for your help.  :3
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, back in the day (and we're talking a really long time ago) I also bought one of those impact driver sets for working on Japanese motorcycles. It's still in my tool box, but would be over kill for this job. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.