Bottom left of Acer Aspire VX 15 below the keyboard has something spinning/vibrating loudly

Poopsmile
Poopsmile Member Posts: 2 New User
I have an acer Aspire VX 15 and today, while i was playing a gane called Space Engineers, the bottom right corner below the computer’s keyboard began vibrating and sounded as if something was spinning. I am just wondering if anyone has an idea what’s going on and if it is something serious?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    That is the thermal module fan that is needed to cool the laptop's cpu and graphics adapter under heavy gaming power demands. It can be noticeable (above 35 decibels) when temperatures reach between 60-70*C. This is normal laptop behavior.

Jack E/NJ

• Poopsmile
    Poopsmile Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ok but something about it doesn’t sound right, when i started it today it made a quick sound like an old tape player slapping the loose tape against something, its just it had never been that audible before and sounds as if it is having trouble 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    When you first power up, the fan is designed to run at maximum rpm for a few seconds then reduce speed. This is to assure that rotor stiction, a form of frictional inertia of a stopped rotor, is overcome. How long have you had this machine to notice these noise changes?

The fan and heat sink might simply need some cleaning maintenance from dust buildup. Or the fan may need replacement. Fan replacements are very inexpensive but requires opeing the laptop.

Jack E/NJ