Acer Aspire T3-715A BIOS detects 8Gb RAM but is 16GB

I would like to get some direction on how to configure my computer to recognize 16Gb

System BIOS Version: R01-A4
Build Date 05/19/2016

EC Firmware Version: 20.0
Build Date 09/18/2015

Thank you in advance. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,
    Could you please download and install CPU-z, run it and post the pictures of Memory tab and SPD tab for both slots(slot1 & slot2).
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
  • RobertoLopez
    RobertoLopez Member Posts: 8 New User
    Here is the information requested:

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @RoberotLopez

How many RAM sticks you have in your PC? 2x8 GB or 1 x 16GB?

If you have two RAM sticks in it and just got 8GB, then I'll think you probably did not have that seated properly. 

Try to reseat the RAM sticks, and make sure you hear the clips snap in after fully inserted.
  • ttttt
    @RobertoLopez

CPU-Z had been always like that. Don't get bothered by it. That's why I installed the program and seldom use it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Spec says DDR4 1.2V 2133MHz U-DIMMs 4GB, 8GB or 16GB each, but yours have been replaced with faster ones that aren't actually faster. The chipset runs them at 2133MHz. You can use the PC4-19200 sticks like the current one or the stock or the more correct PC4-17000. Putting them in pairs of the same size will give a little improvement when they go into dual channel mode. Your motherboard supports up to 64GB using four 16GB DIMMs. If you truly have four 4GB DIMMs as the sticker suggests upgrading will require replacing the existing with larger sticks, in pairs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RobertoLopez
    In my computer I have only one 16Gb memory stick, as you can see it in the last picture above, but is detected as 8Gb, so where are the other 8Gb?
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    I too wonder where the other 8Gb went to unless you have a bad stick ? I assume that you have tried it in the other 3 slots ? 
  • ttttt
    @RorbertoLopez

The most important thing is under Win 10 Task Manager Performance tab, does it indicated 16GB in the memory section?

Once again, CPU-z is just like that. That's why I don't like to use it.
  • RobertoLopez
    Yes I already try the other 3 slots and is the same result. Only detecting 8Gb.

If I enter the BIOS also detects only 8Gb.

Task Manager as well:

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
  • ttttt
    @RobertoLopez

I tend to believe your PC will allow maximum 32 GB with 8 GB limit on each slot.
  • ttttt
    @RobertoLopez

Could not find spec from Acer site. Seemed like it was an Indonesia specific model. 
    Since it used 6th generation CPU, 32GB limit was kind of common in that era.
  • RobertoLopez
    MSCONFIG seems fine:

The specs clearly say 64Gb max:

• ttttt
    @RobertoLopez

Hm..., it is out of my wit unless it is the memory hardware problem.
  • RobertoLopez
  • RobertoLopez
    Answer ✓
    I think I figure it out, the memory manufacture site: https://www.pacificsunmemory.com/copy-of-2-x51642842t says that is a pair that makes 16Gb

With that I conclude that my memory is an 8Gb stick.

I really appreciate all the help.

Thank you
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,692 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    I would like to get some direction on how to configure my computer to recognize 16Gb

System BIOS Version: R01-A4
    Build Date 05/19/2016

EC Firmware Version: 20.0
    Build Date 09/18/2015

Thank you in advance. 

First and foremost, these are the OEM recommended memory modules types and manufacturers that are recommended by Acer for your Aspire T3-715A, so keep to these specs and use the recommended memory modules and your Aspire T3-715A will work perfectly and 100% without any problems, see captions below.

Note: there is another option for you and that is to use the "Crucial System Scanner" but and if Crucial states as far as suggesting more memory than the recommended by Acer capacities and you check the maximum amount of supported memory with the scanner for your system, that they recommend more than your system or motherboard manufacturer has listed on their technical specification. The good news is that this is not a mistake! On occasion you will find that due to system updates and technological advances, some hardware may be able to support more memory compared to when it was originally manufactured. Good luck and hope this clears all your memory problems.

IMPORTANT: When installing DIMM modules, populate the DIMM slots according to the table below: