OSD Feature Request: X34GS 16:9/5:9 Picture-By-Picture Mode

JeremyKingTech
JeremyKingTech Member Posts: 3 New User
I bought this monitor and have been using it for a few weeks. I love it. But it's missing one feature that would make it perfect. I think the Acer Predator X34 GS would be the perfect gaming monitor if it supported a 16:9/5:9 Picture-By-Picture Mode.

It's my hope that the Acer Predator team takes notice and considers how useful this feature would be for gamers.

Hopefully other members will see this and add their comments to gain some traction.

Here's why - The use case is a Twitch/Youtube etc. game/desktop streamer:

As someone coming from a 3 monitor setup, moving to a single 34 inch ultrawide has freed up an immense amount of desktop space. And I love it.

The extra width has helped me in my video production work but the *only area* that I find it a bit difficult to work with is when I'm streaming 16:9 games.

It's ideal to have OBS (Opern Broadcast Software) with chat apps open beside a full screen game so that you can monitor your stream as well as keep up with the chat.

Of course one could use PiP instead of PbP but it's much more clunky and demands relying on zoning apps that aren't pixel perfect.

**The Best Solution** would be to have your monitor in Picture by Picture mode with the game running in fullscreen 16:9 on one side while the other side in 5:9 has your streaming software (OBS in my case) and chat/browser apps etc.

2 desktops combined into one with aspect ratios that are useful for running a 16:9 game in fullscreen while still being able to view your game streaming software and chat apps.

This would be the ultimate game streaming monitor if only the X34 GS Predator supported this mode in the OSD. It would be so much more useful than an equal split down the center of the monitor.

Is it possible for the Acer Predator Team to add this to a firmware update for the X34 GS?

Best Answer

• JeremyKingTech
    Answer ✓
    Just as a general update. Acer Support was completely useless. I'm really disappointed. I love my Predator X34GS monitor, but I'm really not impressed with Acer Support services. I spoke with online support (text chat) and was provided with a Case Reference # because I was told that I needed to contact technical support. The first person in chat didn't tell me that I had to call to speak with someone. They told me that I would need to come back to the text chat the next day, speak with a front line person and then request a "Level 2" person in the tech department in order to get some of my questions answered.

So today I went back into chat requesting to be transferred to a "Level 2" tech support associate. I was told that I had to call and was given a phone number. I called the number, I'm in Canada and had to select English in the phone tree and then provide my SNID of the monitor. I did this. Then I was to be connected to the department after selecting technical support.

I was disconnected. I called back. Did it again.

I was disconnected again.

OKAY!

I thought I'd try one more time!

Well, third time's a charm I guess because I was being transferred by the automated system this time.

HOWEVER, the automated system told me that based on my SNID, it looked like my product wasn't under warranty and I was going to be transferred to a 3rd party technical support call center. I doubled checked that I put the SNID in correctly, I did.

Something is wrong with the system. The Acer Predator X34GS was manufactured in March 2021 (mine was anyways based on the sticker on the back).

I knew this wasn't going to end well.

Sure enough, I was connected to a tech support center in a country where the support person barely spoke English.

I tried my best to explain what I was looking for (just to see if it was possible to put this feature request on Acer/Predator Gaming's radar) and explained how I reached this person.

Reading from their script I was told that I should go to the Acer website and update my drivers/software.....

I don't think they understood what I was calling for despite trying to communicate it.

It would have been useful to have been able to call Acer US/Canada and be able to speak with someone that could also communicate in my native language.

I thanked the person for their time despite not being helpful in any way and then I hung up.

It was a huge waste of time. And generally, a terrible experience trying to deal with Acer/Predator Gaming's technical support.

I'm really enjoying the monitor. It's ALMOST PERFECT.

But unfortunately, that's about the only good thing I can say about Acer as a company at the moment.

Does anyone know of any hidden path to speak with Predator Gaming directly in the US or Canada?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    You would likely be best served to communicate this to Acer via the support channel rather than here. We're a community support forum and the only Acer people who are here are the moderators. They have no better access into developers or marketing (who really decide what the developers will develop) than anyone else.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JeremyKingTech
    Thanks for your input on this, billsey. I'll leave it up in hopes that other community members see it as well. Hopefully others will also contact Acer and we can make this possible.

Do you have a suggestion on exactly how to contact Acer regarding getting this on the radar of someone who could actually help make this a reality?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Contacting Acer is handled differently in different locales. For the USA there's a "Contact Acer" link near the bottom of the main page.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JeremyKingTech
    Answer ✓
    Just as a general update. Acer Support was completely useless. I'm really disappointed. I love my Predator X34GS monitor, but I'm really not impressed with Acer Support services. I spoke with online support (text chat) and was provided with a Case Reference # because I was told that I needed to contact technical support. The first person in chat didn't tell me that I had to call to speak with someone. They told me that I would need to come back to the text chat the next day, speak with a front line person and then request a "Level 2" person in the tech department in order to get some of my questions answered.

So today I went back into chat requesting to be transferred to a "Level 2" tech support associate. I was told that I had to call and was given a phone number. I called the number, I'm in Canada and had to select English in the phone tree and then provide my SNID of the monitor. I did this. Then I was to be connected to the department after selecting technical support.

I was disconnected. I called back. Did it again.

I was disconnected again.

OKAY!

I thought I'd try one more time!

Well, third time's a charm I guess because I was being transferred by the automated system this time.

HOWEVER, the automated system told me that based on my SNID, it looked like my product wasn't under warranty and I was going to be transferred to a 3rd party technical support call center. I doubled checked that I put the SNID in correctly, I did.

Something is wrong with the system. The Acer Predator X34GS was manufactured in March 2021 (mine was anyways based on the sticker on the back).

I knew this wasn't going to end well.

Sure enough, I was connected to a tech support center in a country where the support person barely spoke English.

I tried my best to explain what I was looking for (just to see if it was possible to put this feature request on Acer/Predator Gaming's radar) and explained how I reached this person.

Reading from their script I was told that I should go to the Acer website and update my drivers/software.....

I don't think they understood what I was calling for despite trying to communicate it.

It would have been useful to have been able to call Acer US/Canada and be able to speak with someone that could also communicate in my native language.

I thanked the person for their time despite not being helpful in any way and then I hung up.

It was a huge waste of time. And generally, a terrible experience trying to deal with Acer/Predator Gaming's technical support.

I'm really enjoying the monitor. It's ALMOST PERFECT.

But unfortunately, that's about the only good thing I can say about Acer as a company at the moment.

Does anyone know of any hidden path to speak with Predator Gaming directly in the US or Canada?