Install a fresh windows 10 without the receovery key Aspire A515

VLorz
VLorz Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi,
I need to reinstall Windows 10 in a new HDD in my Aspire A515 laptop, but I don't have neither the recovery key nor the original HDD, well I do have it but it is broken, unrecoverable.
How can I reinstall windows on it? Where can I get a windows installer image?
Thanks!

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @VLorz

Assuming your A515 came with the Win 10 Home, then the Win 10 Home license was embedded on the motherboard.

Use your Win 10 Pro PC to download and create the Media Creating Tool with Win 10 on it. There should be only the choice of 32-bit or 64-bit, no option for Home or Pro. Whether it is Home or Pro depends on the product key ( I had one license that was good for both Pro or Home, for multiple PCs).

After you booted from the USB flash drive and when Windows 10 asking for product key just selected "I do not have a product key". Since you already have the embedded product key, Win 10 will recognize it automatically and this will be the digital license. 

That should have saved you a lot of time from the beginning.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    You can download new windows 10 installation using media creation tools.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • VLorz

Tinkerer

Matter is I can't run the media creation tool in that computer, it is not operational any more. I used another laptop, but it has a different Windows release, Pro in this case, I then installed Windows... but it refuses to activate, and it is Pro.
  • VLorz said:
    Matter is I can't run the media creation tool in that computer, it is not operational any more. I used another laptop, but it has a different Windows release, Pro in this case, I then installed Windows... but it refuses to activate, and it is Pro.

VLorz download the "Create Windows 10 installation media" onto an 8GB USB but and make sure, that the USB is formatted in the same format that your laptop that you are trying to install the new Win-10 onto e.g. it should have either the Master Boot Record (MBR) or the GUID Partition Table (GPT) so that the USB boots on your laptop, after, install the new Win-10 onto your new HDD and go through the process of the Win-10 installation, then, follow the Microsoft "Activate Windows" steps guide for your appropriate activation, you need a registered Microsoft Account or a Genuine 25 digit Product Key (of either an appropriate upgrade from Win-7, Win-8/8.1 or the genuine Win-10) to activate windows which will activate the appropriate Win-10 versions of your registration and/or product key of either the Pro or Home versions, as your Microsoft Account or the 25 digit Product Key is registered with Microsoft and will give you one of the examples of registrations like below. All this is explained in the guide and link I've given you above at "Activate Windows".

• VLorz

Tinkerer

Steven, thanks for taking the time for writing, but it does not answer my question as it applies to other generic situations. I know that procedure and, as it can be somehow derived from my two previous comments, it is the procedure I followed, which as I commented, did not work for me for the reason I also commented before.
    The original Win edition was Home. I bought the laptop with windows on it, I don't see why I have to buy another copy. Nevertheless, I tried to activate a freshly installed Win10 Pro using a valid product key and, as I commented, it refused to activate. The laptop's product code says it is OEM, as expected from an OEM laptop. I suppose this is the reason why it does not activate.
    I can't manage to find a windows image/installer where I could select it to be Home, neither I can find a location in Acer's repositories for downloading such tool.
    That's why my first comment says: reinstall, and not upgrade.
    Thanks in advance.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @VLorz

Assuming your A515 came with the Win 10 Home, then the Win 10 Home license was embedded on the motherboard.

Use your Win 10 Pro PC to download and create the Media Creating Tool with Win 10 on it. There should be only the choice of 32-bit or 64-bit, no option for Home or Pro. Whether it is Home or Pro depends on the product key ( I had one license that was good for both Pro or Home, for multiple PCs).

After you booted from the USB flash drive and when Windows 10 asking for product key just selected "I do not have a product key". Since you already have the embedded product key, Win 10 will recognize it automatically and this will be the digital license. 

That should have saved you a lot of time from the beginning.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    edited September 2021
    @Vlorz there's a way you can downgrade from Pro to Home. I did this once and it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTjLd57QgDY
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • VLorz

Tinkerer

@ttttt, thanks for the tip. It worked. I'm still missing some drivers but I think this is the solution. And yes, it would have saved me a lot of trouble and time. Thanks a lot!
  • ttttt
    @VLorz

Glad that your issue is basically solved. 

What kind of drivers are still missing ?