Acer Aspire desktop legacy boot mode?

Options
Szf
Szf Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi. Can somebody help me regarding how to turn on legacy boot? I watched the Acer video about it, but my BIOS seems somewhat different and I can't find the boot mode setting, like in the Vid. I can't change the greyed out options on the top. Ty for any help.

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options
    Szf said:
    Hi. Can somebody help me regarding how to turn on legacy boot? I watched the Acer video about it, but my BIOS seems somewhat different and I can't find the boot mode setting, like in the Vid. I can't change the greyed out options on the top. Ty for any help.
    "Szf" why do you want to change to Master Boot Record (MBR) or Legacy mode? Have a look at the official Acer guide "Changing BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacyand if you can't then your system can't be changed to Master Boot Record (MBR) or Legacy mode. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,386 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, we really need to know which computer you have before we can come up with any suggestions. :) If your system is new enough that it would have never shipped with Windows 7 it's quite likely that it doesn't have support for anything but the normal UEFI mode. Why are you trying to boot with something other than UEFI? What you are trying to boot likely has a newer version that works with modern computers.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mindlessmars
    mindlessmars Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same issue with my new Acer Aspire TC - Intel Core i5-10400. I have used Acer desktops for Linux workstations for years. With the lack of a Legacy bios option, I cannot as easily swap in OS drives from failing hardware to newer hardware.
    If the Boot Mode is greyed out as UEFI, it would be assumed that there could be an option to change it. Legacy is a feature that is still needed. It's frustrating that so many vendors have dropped it. I get the security concerns and modernizing, but the running legacy is the choice of the user.

Legacy bios options are still alive and well on servers. Dell, Supermicro, HP all still support legacy boot on Intel and AMD.

Please bring back the Legacy option for those who do not want or cannot rebuild an os in UEFI. I will continue buying your hardware if you do.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @mindlessmars and @Szf

I don't think Linux has to be run under Legacy mode only. Through the last decade or so I had installed many Linux distros on different Pcs. Prior to UEFI , it was all Legacy mode. Currently my seven year old Dell laptop is capable of both Legacy and UEFI modes at user's choice and I have different Linux distros on USB flash drives under both modes. Also, my TC-885 (i3-9100) has UEFI only and I installed Linux Mint, Robo Linux, Manjaro ... etc. either on 2.5" SATA3 SSD or on a M.2 NVMe SSD applied to the PCIe x16 slot using a M.2 NVMe adapter. Whenever I want to use a certain Linux, I can just select the Linux from the Fn+F12 Boot Menu once the drive is connected. My other Acer A515-46-R14K laptop, also UEFI only, has another Manjaro on a separate 2.5" SATA3 SSD (Windows boot drive is M.2  NVMe SSD)

Several things to pay attention to:

Select AHCI as the SATA mode, instead of RST Optane

Disable Secure Boot from BIOS if possible

Linux bootloader to be written on the small 100MB UEFI Fat32 partition ( or a separate small Fat32 UEFI partition on the drive that Linux is to be installed on).

Hope this will help.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,386 Trailblazer
    Options
    Any reasonably modern OS, including pretty much all Linux builds in the last several years, work fine with UEFI. None of the new chipsets have drivers for Windows 7 and earlier, so there's no need to support the old MBR boot types. If you really have to fire up an image of an old enough system to not work with UEFI, just put it in a VM...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @Szf
    Could you please tell me full modern name of device