Trying to update from windows 8.1 to windows 10 - aspire E1 472

Blue11
Blue11 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have a problem with an acer aspire E1 472 laptop, I am trying to update from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and when I enter the bios to modify the boot system the screen is turn off (the laptop continues to work) probe giving f10 and enter and restart, it would be save changes and exit, and accept.

//Edited the content to add model name.

Comments

• SporadicThought
    SporadicThought Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Blue11 said:
    I have a problem with an acer aspire E1 472 laptop, I am trying to update from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and when I enter the bios to modify the boot system the screen is turn off (the laptop continues to work) probe giving f10 and enter and restart, it would be save changes and exit, and accept.

That sucks.

I would clear the CMOS or whatever equivalent the system has. Be sure to record all the settings in BIOS that are important as they will be reset to default.

The CMOS is easily cleared by removing the coin-cell battery and disconnecting all other power sources from the system. Leave disconnected for 90 seconds and maybe hit the power button a few times to free up radical electrons that may be stored in the system.

It is important that you don't touch any of the laptop's internal components unless you are properly grounded; due to ESD, which can cause damage. I have handled maybe 1,000 PC components with my bare hands and not grounded, I know of one that likely bricked due to ESD; so it is rare for some.

I know some systems have moved into having NVRAM instead of CMOS, not sure how to clear those.