Aspire AX3400-E2022, no video (HDMI or VGA)

Cuby
Cuby Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
Hi all,

I found an old Aspire AX3400 that doesn't display any video, either on the HDMI port or the VGA. There are no other video card inside. I replaced the BIOS battery since it was dead, but still, got no beep nor video, only the very present fan noise. On the other hand, the hard drive spins readily without hesitation, and the LED indicator does flicker irregularly, just as the hard drive is seeking.

I tried to find a manual, but Acer's website only references a generic one which doesn't say anything useful for that case, especially (if available) jumper to set, or key combination to try.

Any idea what's happening there?

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Another test Monitor or hooking to a working tv HDMI would isolate. Good Luck
  • Cuby
    edited September 2021
    Both TV and monitor and their cables are known-good.
  • Cuby
    Well, some news: I managed to get it to boot after reseating RAM modules, but for some reason, immediately on the "Starting Windows" screen, CPU fan turned on at maximum speed and stayed there after a reboot. Weirdly enough, the BIOS reports impossible CPU temperatures, swinging between -71 and 127 within a few seconds. Reported system temp is stable, though.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Which BIOS version is installed? Those symptoms sounds like there might be an issue with the BIOS load. You might be able to clear it up by installing the next rev newer if it's not already the latest.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Cuby
    Some news: installed BIOS is P01.B1. What advantage is provided by P01.B2? BTW, the symptoms subsided after reseating CMOS battery, RAM (again) and CPU (after removing then reinstalling the radiator of course).

I tried to install Linux Mint on a blank HDD, but currently experiencing issues with the video card driver. Do I need to reinstall Windows just for flashing the BIOS?

What is a more powerful, but reasonable CPU this computer can take with stock PSU and heatsink? I read on another topic that a 6-core Phenom would work, but at 95W TDP, I find the proposition to be rather optimistic, given how loud the fan can get. Besides, it wouldn't make much sense seeing this kind of CPU power hampered by the now-low 8GiB max RAM.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Cuby,

Is there any error like "No Signal".
  • Cuby
    @Easwar: there was. After reseating CMOS battery, RAM, CPU, although non-specific, appeared to solve the issue. I didn't turn it on much since, though.