I want to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 20GB - Aspire A515-55G

SithulaH
SithulaH Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi

Can u give me Some good RAM's for me to buy and I have a HDD for my system disk can it be changed to SSD to work more faster without losing data. And also can u give me a link for a video how to do it. I have attached below my Installed RAM.

//Edited the content to hide serial number.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    This model has a non-replaceable soldered RAM socket and a replaceable RAM socket. Unfortunately, you must open the bottom to see if the replaceable RAM socket is empty or has a ddr4 sodimm module already installed since some mainboards came with up to 8GB soldered RAM. You must do this before ordering any RAM upgrades.

You can definitely replace the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD up to 2TB and clone/migrate all the data on the HDD to the SSD using cloning freeware like MacriumReflect or similar cloning tool freeware.  You also have the option of adding a m.2 SSD card also up to 2TB. That way you can keep your HDD installed as a data drive and the m.2 card as the boot drive.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓

You can upgrade your Acer Aspire 5 A515-55G Laptop to up to a maximum memory capacity of 20GB Memory.

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    This model has a non-replaceable soldered RAM socket and a replaceable RAM socket. Unfortunately, you must open the bottom to see if the replaceable RAM socket is empty or has a ddr4 sodimm module already installed since some mainboards came with up to 8GB soldered RAM. You must do this before ordering any RAM upgrades.

You can definitely replace the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD up to 2TB and clone/migrate all the data on the HDD to the SSD using cloning freeware like MacriumReflect or similar cloning tool freeware.  You also have the option of adding a m.2 SSD card also up to 2TB. That way you can keep your HDD installed as a data drive and the m.2 card as the boot drive.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓

You can upgrade your Acer Aspire 5 A515-55G Laptop to up to a maximum memory capacity of 20GB Memory.
  • SithulaH
    @JackE Then first I need to check I have a soldered RAM or a replaceable one. But about the hard drive thing I can't understand.
  • JackE
    All you need to do is check the replaceable RAM socket. If it's empty, you have 8GB non-replaceable soldered RAM installed. If it has a 4GB in the replaceable socket, then you also have 4GB non -replacement soldered RAM installed.  If it has 8GB in the replaceable socket, then you have no non-replaceable soldered RAM.

You can have up to two HDDs or SSDs in your laptop. One is in the form of a 2.5" HDD or SSD box. The other is in the form of an m.2 SSD card. Your machine now has only a 2.5" HDD box. And an empty socket for adding an SSD card.   

Jack E/NJ

• SithulaH
    JackE said:
    You can have up to two HDDs or SSDs in your laptop. One is in the form of a 2.5" HDD or SSD box. The other is in the form of an m.2 SSD card. Your machine now has only a 2.5" HDD box. And an empty socket for adding an SSD card.   
    I already have 2 HDDs one is 233GB HDD and other 696GB. 233GB one is the windows installed one. Then that means there is no socket for adding an SSD card?
  • SithulaH
    And also am I want to install Windows again or is it also can be copied with data to new SSD from the old HDD? And is it safe (is my pc will work after changing the storage?) because I only have this pc for my all the work. 
  • JackE
    You can clone or migrate the system on the old 240GB m.2 SSD card to the new m.2 SSD card using cloning freeware like MacriumReflect or AOEMI BackerUpper.

You will need a USB-to-m.2 card adapter to clone the old SSD to the  new SSD.

Jack E/NJ

• SithulaH
    Thank you for your valuable help

But I have a question now; you have told that I have one empty SSD socket (m.2 SSD). If it so I have HDD with 233GB (windows installed (socket 1 in the pic)). Then the socket 2 is empty as you are telling. But I have 2 drives shown in file explorer (233GB and 696GB). I thought of upgrading my HDD (1 in pic) to SSD of 1TB storage. Then I have 1.6TB storage. That means I have to buy a SSD of 2.5" box. Is it correct or please  can u correct me?
  • JackE
    Sorry no. Only one 2.5" HDD drive (#1) and one SSD card drive (#2) will fit inside case.

This means 2.5" HDD 696GB (#1) can be REPLACED with a 2.5" HDD 1TB. But both 2.5" HDDs can NOT fit inside.

This also means SSD 233GB card (#2) can be REPLACED with a bigger SSD card. But both SSD cards can NOT fit inside.

Jack E/NJ

• SithulaH
    @JackE Then first I need to check I have a soldered RAM or a replaceable one. But about the hard drive thing I can't understand.
  • SithulaH
    edited September 2021
    SithulaH said:
    Sorry I haven't asked this question.

ok then I have buy a new m.2 SSD of 1TB. then I can change it to my booting drive also no? Becoz I want high processing. And no need of changing the 2.5" HDD no. But in task manager it is showing as in the pic.

I have found out some m.2 SSDs pls check
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DNM8LR/?language=en_US&cstrackid=9f8bd0d0-f404-4828-8861-3d0be8cd0901&tag=microncsus-20

Thank You
  • SithulaH
    JackE said:

You are correct. I have opened the bottom lid of my laptop There is only one HDD there and an empty socket for a SSD. HDD is a 1TB thing. 
    Then as you told I have to buy a SSD of M.2 NVMe. Then am I can make the SSD as the system booting disk? Becoz I am not going to remove 
    the HDD because if I remove it the storage will be low.

JackE said:

And in RAM I also noticed that I have only have (1) 8GB RAM but in the task manager it is showing 2 of 2 slots are used. Then if a have one 
    8GB full RAM I can have an another 8GB then total is 16GB is it ok? I have inserted a picture of inside the lap I have taken.

Also can u provide me a link to a document or a video to how to change the booting drive.

I appreciat if you answer my question quickly as possible.
  • JackE
    To change the boot drive to the m.2 card, make sure you disconnect the battery and unplug the charger then follow steps below.

(1) Install the m.2 card
    (2) Temporarily disconnect the 2.5" HDD.
    (3) Put the machine back together.
    (4) Make a Win10 installation USB drive using this link to Microsoft's USB media creation tool
    (5) Insert USB Win10 installation drive
    (6) Turn machine on and immediately tap F2 key to enter BIOS menu
    (7) Make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled in BIOS Main tab.
    (8) Shut machine off. Then turn it back on and immediately press the F12 key. The USB Win10 installation should appear to install Win10 on the new m.2 drive.
    (9) You can then re-connect the HDD. It should show up as the D :  \ drive when you boot from the m.2 drive

Your mainboard has two RAM sockets. One non-replaceable soldered RAM socket on top of the mainboard. And one replaceable RAM socket  on the bottom of the mainboard. Some mainboards have an empty soldered RAM sockets. In that case, the maximum RAM is 16GB, not 20GB.

Jack E/NJ

• SithulaH
    Hello 

Thanks for your reply. But there is a problem again becoz I am having Windows 11 installed (By Windows Insider Program). Can I have a way to like not installing windows again and copying the the Windows also to the SSD from HDD?
  • SithulaH
    JackE said:

Your mainboard has two RAM sockets. One non-replaceable soldered RAM socket on top of the mainboard. And one replaceable RAM socket  on the bottom of the mainboard. Some mainboards have an empty soldered RAM sockets. In that case, the maximum RAM is 16GB, not 20GB.
    How to check that I have soldered RAM on the top of the motherboard. But I think I have one because in task manager it is showing 2 RAM slots are used and other scanners such as Crucial (when I scan from it) website.

Thank You
  • JackE
    You check the capacity of the RAM module in the replaceable RAM socket on the bottom of the mainboard. If it is 4GB replaceable, then you know that you have 4GB non-replaceable soldered RAM on the top of the mainboard. However, if it is 8GB replaceable, then you know that the top soldered socket is empty.

Jack E/NJ

• SithulaH
    SithulaH said:
    Hello 

Thanks for your reply. But there is a problem again becoz I am having Windows 11 installed (By Windows Insider Program). Can I have a way to like not installing windows again and copying the the Windows also to the SSD from HDD?
    Sorry for disturbing. This question
  • JackE
    You can clone or migrate the HDD to the SSD using cloning tool freeware like Macrium Reflect, AOEMI BackerUpper, etc. There are many tool choices that you can use.

Jack E/NJ

• SithulaH
    JackE said:
    You can clone or migrate the HDD to the SSD using cloning tool freeware like Macrium Reflect, AOEMI BackerUpper, etc. There are many tool choices that you can use.
    ok then from that we can clone the windows also to the SSD and make it as Booting drive ?
  • JackE
    Yes.          

Jack E/NJ