Acer Aspire 8930G Graphic card

Manado
Manado Member Posts: 9 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Dear Folks, I have been having a problem with my Acer Aspire 8930G since 07-Sep-2021. I have enjoyed working with this laptop since 2009 but suddenly I got a screen/graphic card problem. When I start up my laptop I get a white screen that keeps switching between Red, Green, Blue, Gray and a screen partially black and white.
Can someone tell me what the problem is, it seems like he is in a test cycle.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    If HDMI out to a TV screen works OK, you probably need a need a replacement LCD video cable due to wire  breaks in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much. Google the keywords '8930G lcd video cable' for vendors who ship to your location. About $20usd. Also google search the keywords '8930G & disassembly', for youtube videos on how to access screen related cables.

Jack E/NJ

• Manado
    Thanks for your response.
    Unfortunately, this is not the only problem. I always use a 2nd monitor. I have all vertical colored lines on it.
  • JackE
    Is this 2nd monitor attached to the VGA or HDMI port?

Jack E/NJ

• Manado
    With the VGA port
  • Manado
    This happens immediately when the laptop is turned on, so no logo or anything like that is visible. Directly the colored screens.
  • JackE
    What happens when you enter the BIOS menu with the F2 key on startup?

Jack E/NJ

• Manado
    I tried this right now, unfortunately the same thing happened.
  • JackE
    Are you able to see and access folders in Device Manager?

Jack E/NJ

• Manado
    Unfortunately, as indicated above, I can't even get there! After switching on the power supply, it immediately goes into malfunction. Both on my laptop screen and on the 2nd monitor!
  • JackE
    The HDMI out to a TV screen give the same result?

Jack E/NJ

• Manado
    I have connected my laptop to the TV with HDMI. At that moment, the activation of the HDMI port appears on the TV. However, when I select it, no image appears. When I pull the HDMI cable out of my laptop again, the port signal from the TV disappears.
  • JackE
    With the  HDMI TV connected, what happens when you repeated press FN+F5?

Jack E/NJ

• Manado
    Thanks for your response, I'll test it tomorrow.
  • Manado
    Dear JackE,
    Did the test today. First started my laptop and put the TV on signal input. The moment I plug the HDMI cable into my laptop, the input signal appears on my TV. My laptop keeps running the color notification. Then when I press the FN+F5 keys, nothing happened one after the other. Tried several times but to no avail.
    If you have any more tips, I'd love to hear them.
    If you know where the problem is, I'd love to hear it too.
    If it's the graphics card or motherboard I'll look for a replacement. A new 18.4 inch laptop is hard to find and very expensive too.
    Thank you very much Manado
  • JackE
    Sorry it seems like the motherboard graphics has failed. However, new replacement mainboards are available for less than $100.  Google search the keywords 8930G motherboard Aliexpress. Choose an Aliexpress concessionaire vendor who will ship to your country.

Jack E/NJ