Adding a GPU to Acer Aspire TC-895 EB-11

DramTram
DramTram Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire. It came with a HDD, 12gb ram, no gpu, no ssd. I plan to upgrade the ram, gpu and ssd at some point. I've already bought a 32gb (2x16) ram set from Crucial @2666mhz (I believe that's the most that's allowed on this motherboard). I tried Corsair's (2x16) 3200mhz ram but it wouldn't work, so returned it.

Anyway, the PSU on the system is 500W 80+ Gold, and I want to add a GPU to it. I'm not sure if I can add a 3060 to it or not, or if I'm better off adding something like a 1650/1660 or a 1070 to it?
I believe there's a spare 6pin connector from the PSU. I think I could get an adapter if a GPU came with a different pin requirement, etc.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    There are several GPUs you can add that stay within the 500W budget. Acer is shipping several models with the 30x0 GPUs on 500W, though not the biggest, baddest stuff. You should have an 8pin and a 6pin connector for the motherboard off the PSU, both feeding 12V DC only. There should also be a cable or two coming off the MB in order to power SATA devices. I'd personally be looking at the SSD before any other upgrades, dropping an M.2 NVMe x4 drive in will give a biggest boost than anything else at this point.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DramTram
    DramTram Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi billsey. I plan to add an M.2 NVMe sometime between now and the end of the year, as the main startup drive, and switch the existing HDD for storage. I was just wondering what GPU would be viable given the space and power constraints. Also, in the photo I posted, I believe that's a spare 6 pin connector I could use to power?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    I don't know what the extra connector is for, we don't have wiring diagrams for the PSUs. You could measure it to see which pins are 12V and which are ground, then look to see if it would work with a GPU...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.