My computer crashes after every windows update - Aspire F5-573G

LauraR
LauraR Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi, back in 2017 I bought the Aspire F5-573G laptop.

For two years, it worked just fine, great with videogames and my day-to-day work. However, in 2019, my computer started crashing after every update from Windows.

My computer takes more than 20 minutes to turn on (when before this issue presented took less than 5). After that, all applications work badly, and you get constant messages indicating that the "application stopped working", the music stops and the computer freezes for several minutes. Most times it is almost impossible to open the videogames I used to open before.

I had to reinstall Windows 10 at the beginning of this year without any real improvement. Now, I have to use the  "Windows + X" command several times with the "sfc /scannow", "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth", and the "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth", after every update my computer does so that I can start working on my computer (taking several HOURS at times).

Does anybody have experienced the same issue? any ideas of what I should do to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    >>> had to reinstall Windows 10 at the beginning of this year without any real improvement.>>>

Did you reinstall the ACER OEM Win10 version from the hidden reset partition?  Or did you reinstall the generic Win10 using  Microsoft's media creation tool? The two versions are NOT the same.

Jack E/NJ

• LauraR
    LauraR Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2021
    Hi Jack E/NJ

I re-installed the generic Win10. Should I have done it with the ACER one?

Kindly,

LauraR

JackE said:
    >>> had to reinstall Windows 10 at the beginning of this year without any real improvement.>>>

Did you reinstall the ACER OEM Win10 version from the hidden reset partition?  Or did you reinstall the generic Win10 using  Microsoft's media creation tool? The two versions are NOT the same.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    Yes, the OEM version is arguably the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. But once the generic version has been installed, the hidden ACER OEM version on the HDD or SSD is often no longer accessible.

However, you can try using the ALT+F10 cold boot method to see if it's accessible. First, you enter the BIOS menu by tapping F2 on startup. Then you make sure the F12 and D2D boot options are enabled and saved in the BIOS Main tab.

Then you close Windows normally. Then turn the machine on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden OEM partition is still intact, a factory reset menu should appear to allow a partial system refresh while trying to save your personal data or an erase-everything full factory reset that brings the system back to where it was when you first bought the machine.

Immediately after a factory reset, you should check to make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point application. This helps to identify any errant updates that may be causing the issue and temporarily block them until a future update fixes the issue.

Jack E/NJ