Aspire E15 How can I disable my CD drive on my laptop?

Eliminiquated
Eliminiquated Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Dear Support,

About 3 years ago I got an Acer Aspire E15 for school. It has lasted me a good long time and I would say that it can last another year or two. I have one small issue and it is with the CD Drive. Every once in a while it makes a loud annoying noise. It annoys me because it interrupts my teacher in the middle of class. I went into device manager to try and turn it off but I did not see the CD Drive listed anywhere. My next approach is going to be unplugging the drive from the motherboard but if there are any other solutions please let me know!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Click on the view tab in Device Manager. Then click show hidden devices. Should show up in either Disk Drives folder or IDE ATA ATAPI controllers folder.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Click on the view tab in Device Manager. Then click show hidden devices. Should show up in either Disk Drives folder or IDE ATA ATAPI controllers folder.

Jack E/NJ

• Eliminiquated

Tinkerer

@JackE Thank you for the response! Is this the correct device?
  • JackE
    No. What does the DiskDrive folder show when you click on the hidden device tab?

Jack E/NJ

• Eliminiquated

Tinkerer

@JackE Thank you for your help but me and my dad just went into the laptop and unplugged the CD Drive lol.
  • JackE
    That'll work too! :)

Jack E/NJ

• @JackE Thank you for your help but me and my dad just went into the laptop and unplugged the CD Drive lol.

Btw and as additional advice, you can use the DVD space by buying a 2.5" caddy to add a slave drive as it can accept a SATA-3 6GB/sec type drive.