Windows license key issues - AspireTC-780-AMZi5

EDSX
EDSX Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have an Acer AspireTC-780-AMZi5, about 4 years old, which I had bought new back then. It has served me well. Unfortunately the motherboard died, and I've already made plans to purchase a replacement motherboard for it. My question is this:
We all know that the windows license key it's tied into the motherboard somehow. Does anyone know what I will have to go through in order to get the original Windows license key from the old motherboard, on to the new one once I get it installed? Does anyone know about the process that has to happen or that you go through?

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,638 Pathfinder
    EDSX said:
    I have an Acer AspireTC-780-AMZi5, about 4 years old, which I had bought new back then. It has served me well. Unfortunately the motherboard died, and I've already made plans to purchase a replacement motherboard for it. My question is this:
    We all know that the windows license key it's tied into the motherboard somehow. Does anyone know what I will have to go through in order to get the original Windows license key from the old motherboard, on to the new one once I get it installed? Does anyone know about the process that has to happen or that you go through?

If nothing else works, you could call up Microsoft and they would be able to help you. I did this once when I had to move my license from one laptop to another (completely different laptop).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    EDSX said:

You have to have a Microsoft account that your Acer AspireTC-780-AMZi5 windows key is associated with, make sure that you have that OEM key that your TC-105 has, as that key is associated with your "Digital Licence", so and if you get a new mobo and when you install the new "Clean Install" of Win-10 make sure that you put that key in when the installation process asks you to do so. This is explained here "Activate Windowsso read all these options of activating windows.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @EDSX

If it is too much an effort, just get a new license from a legitimate third party vendors, maybe somewhere between USD $5-$30, the cheapest Win 10 Pro I got was $5.

Go to Microsoft site to download the Media Creation Tool with the latest Win 10 using a Fat32 flash drive of 8GB capacity or more.

Boot from this flash dive.

When asked for product key, just enter the new license, and then continue the activation.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Microsoft licenses OEM installs linked to a motherboard. They don't support transferring that license to a different motherboard, they want to have you purchase a replacement license along with the replacement motherboard. :(
    That said, you might be good to go if you put the new motherboard in along with the original drive. The key is stored in the EFI partition (I believe) so will still be in the drive's BIOS load.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.