Acer Aspire A515-54 "No Output Audio Device is installed". Factory Reset did not help!

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    >>>The funny thing is that I can sometimes get the audio to work in the middle of re-installing the Realtek sound driver downloaded from the Acer support site! Yes, it will play full sound during the middle of the install as long as I do not reboot.>>>

What's important is that Device Manager seems to detect an issue with the audio driver, not the hardware. With wifi disconnected, can you still reproduce the 'funny thing' so we can take a look at what happens to Device Manager?

Jack E/NJ

• John91836
    John91836 Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
    Another funny thing just happened but not repeatable:
    Out of desperation, I turned off the pc, held the paperclip reset for 30 secs and then held the power button at
    the same time for another 30 secs. 
    Then...
    Wow, it booted up quickly like before and voila, I got the sound back!!!
    I thought I fixed it and rebooted it again... Unfortunately it went back to its old self!
    Trying to repeat the same paperclip trick but failed to do it!!!  It really looks like a hardware problem to me now! Sigh!
    Some audio-related hardware is latching up under certain conditions.

As for the "funny" thing that happened during RealTek driver install, it had to uninstall the existing RealTek driver first and then
    reboot. After reboot, sometimes the sound came back and the installer would ask me to continue to install the new RealTek driver. I just had to
    say "cancel" and quit out of the installer! Then I got my sound back for this session!
    When that "funny thing" happened, The sound settings all came back normal!! It saw the HD audio driver as well as the microphone!

I think I am more convinced that I have an intermittent hardware problem now! Unfortunately, this Acer laptop has just passed 
    the 1-year warranty point by 3-4 months! Repair cost was estimated to be $350 which is not worth doing at it only cost me $550 new.

Thank you so much, Jack E for guiding me alone. I really appreciated it!
    Well, at least a bluetooth speaker or an USB audio adaptor would work. Perhaps I just have to live with it.

I will try to update the RealTek driver again to see if I can repeat the "Funny thing" after uninstalling the RealTek Driver!

• John91836
    One thing for sure is that if the Acer logo does not come up quickly after you push the power button during a cold start,
    the audio will never be working.  However, if the Acer logo comes up quickly and pc boots quickly, there is no guarantee that
    the sound would work.
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Shut Windows down normally. Turn it back on. The ACER logo should appear every time on a cold boot.

Jack E/NJ

• John91836
    Let me try it. Thanks for your expert advice once again, Jack E! Much appreciated!
  • John91836
    The fast boot worked but it didn't fix the sound.
  • John91836
    I ended up pulling out the battery in order to get a solid hardware reset. It didn't do anything, unfortunately.
    Looks much more like a hardware problem now.
    Thanks again, Jack E for your kindness, patience, and expertise in helping out all along. You have been absolutely wonderful! :)
    Cheers, John
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    I didn't expect it to fix the sound, just eliminate another variable in which RAM is not fully cleared on shutdown and the BIOS is bypassed. Keep it in the slow start state until we're done troubleshooting.

I'm still not convinced of a hardware problem due to Control Panel's Device Manager results indicating driver issues, not hardware issues. I find Device Manager detection is more reliable than Settings. With that said, have you downloarded and tried any freeware driver tools like iobit's DriverBooster to see if they pick up any better drivers on line?

Jack E/NJ

• John91836
    oic... I will keep disabling the quick-start then. 

No, I haven't tried any 3rd party driver tools. Let me try the iobit's DriverBooster then tonight. Thanks so much once again, Jack E.
    Glad to hear my laptop still has some hope lol!

BTW, I only disconnected the main battery for a couple of hours but I also saw the tiny round battery which is used to backup the BIOS, I guess.
    Should I try to disconnect that tiny battery as well? 

• JackE
    Try the driver tools before messing with the button cell. You can speed up discharging the BIOS chip but removing the button cell and shorting its two mainboard connectors.

Jack E/NJ

• John91836
    Answer ✓
    Wowwwwwwww! The sound is back! You are amazing, Jack E!!! 
    I am so lucky to have run into you!

I have rebooted the laptop 4 times from full shut down and the sound is staying put.

What I did were as follows:
    1) Installed and ran Intel Driver and Support Assistant
    -updated the graphics driver
    -still no sound
    2) Installed iobit's DriverBooster and updated only the Realtek sound driver and the Intel SST driver.
    -Voila! The sound is back!! Can't believe a driver problem is not fixed by a factory reset!
    It appeared so much like a hardware problem and it is an eye-opener for me! 
    3) Created a system restore point while sound is working

The only problem now I can see is that the cold boot-up time is unusually long! 5 minutes maybe!
    I then turned on fast-boot again and it came down to 2 minutes perhaps! It is still too long I think with an SSD!

Somehow the Intel SST driver is still shown broken but I don't really care if the sound is working now!

Should I go ahead and update the other 10+ drivers suggested by the wonderful DriverBooster?

• JackE
    >>>Somehow the Intel SST driver is still shown broken but I don't really care if the sound is working now! Should I go ahead and update the other 10+ drivers suggested by the wonderful DriverBooster?>>>

Fast boot can be a problem since it bypasses the BIOS power-on-self-test or POST--- leaves an imprint on RAM after shutdown ---- and thus  increases battery drain to keep the RAM imprint even after shutdown.

However, boot times seem too long. The Intel SST driver could be an issue. You see, there are at least two Intel SST acronyms. One is Intel audio SmartSoundTech. The other is Intel CPU SpeedSelectTech. If the latter, it might explain slow boot times

So, as long as System Protection is turned on in ControlPanel's restore point app, I'd probably go for the 10+ suggested drivers if I didn't want to leave well enough alone. But you said you really don't care about the busted SST driver. So you might want to consider leaving well enough alone. Your laptop. Your choice.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• John91836
    After playing around with DriverBooster, I have narrowed down the culprit of the sound problem to be the "Intel Smart Sound Technology SST OED" .
    The sound was gone again as soon as I deleted this driver! Unfortunately, Windows did not re-install this driver upon reboot. So I used DriverBooster to "fix" this driver by "updating" only this Intel SST OED driver. The sound came back despite the fact that there is an exclamation mark beside this SST OED driver in the device manager view! The Intel Driver & support assistant did not detect any problems, unfortunately.

After some research, some suggested that a BIOS update with Intel Microcode may fix the SST OED driver problem:
    https://windowsreport.com/intel-smart-sound-technology-oed-driver-problem/

Checking the available updates from the Acer website for my laptop model:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/7972?b=1&pn=NX.HNEAA.002

There is a firmware update for BIOS with the new Intel Microcode.
    Should I try the Intel Microcode firmware update v1.03 to fix the SST OED driver problem?
    Is it a dangerous thing to do? Is there any way to roll it back if it screws up the laptop?
    Any advice would be appreciated!

• JackE
    >>>The Intel Driver & support assistant did not detect any problems, unfortunately.>>>>>>There is a firmware update for BIOS with the new Intel Microcode.>>>Is there any way to roll it back if it screws up the laptop?>>>

If I was unfortunate enough not to have any problems, I might get fortunate with a big BIOS update problem. And might get even more fortunate with an even bigger problem trying to roll it back if it screws up. There are times when things are best left alone. I'm gonna guess this may be one of those times with a 50.1% probability.  What's your guess? =)

Jack E/NJ

• John91836
    LOL! I think you are probably right, Jack, with a 99.99% certainty! Sounds like a wise decision to me! If it ain't broken, don't fix it!   :3
    Once again, thank you so much for sharing your wisdom, Jack!