Best wifi driver Aspire 514-54

Bekkerj
Bekkerj Member Posts: 9 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Acer Aspire 514-54
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz   2.42 GHz

Please let me know which wifi drivers is compatible and will ensure best connectivity.

The MediaTek Wifi 6 driver installed delivers substandard connectivity.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Bekkerj,

I suggest you to download from acer website. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,847 Trailblazer
    Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the left pane click components folder. Click network subfolder. Click adapter. In right pane what is the name for wireless adapter?

Jack E/NJ

• Bekkerj
    JackE said:
    Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the left pane click components folder. Click network subfolder. Click adapter. In right pane what is the name for wireless adapter?
    MediaTek Wifi6 MT7921

• JackE
    Download and unzip this file. in a folder you will remember. Then open DeviceManager. Click network adapters folder. Right click MediaTek wifi. Click update driver. Go to folder that you unzipped the file and click on the  wireless lan folder to install.

Jack E/NJ

• Bekkerj
    But that is exactly the driver installed already. 

Is there not an Intel driver which will work?
  • JackE
    NO! it's not  Intel Wifi6 board hardware! What problem are you having with the MediaTek board hardware???

Jack E/NJ

• Bekkerj
    I have mentioned the problem in my initial post. 

I will seek assistance elsewhere.
  • JackE
    Sorry no. You didn't specifically mention the problem. Only substandard connectivity. What does this mean? Connectivity to what router? Could be as simple as card or router settings. But I have no idea what wifi hardware you're trying to connect to.

Jack E/NJ

• Bekkerj said:
    I have mentioned the problem in my initial post. 

I will seek assistance elsewhere.
    Bekkerj if you don't explain exactly the symptoms of your problem(s) that you have then people that are trying to assist you are not mind readers, as JackE has said and is pointing it out to you! 
  • Bekkerj
    edited September 2021
    Apologies. I thought that substandard connection was good enough to start with.

I bought this laptop a week ago and what I notice is that it never connects at 866mbps to my router, which is a TPLink Archer C7. My previous laptop, as well as my Samsung phone connects at 866mbps to the 5ghz.

Let me know which specific info you need to be able to diagnose further.
  • JackE
    >>> it never connects at 866mbps>>>

Open Device Manager. Click network adapters folder. Right click mtk wifi. Click properties. Click advanced tab. Click preferred band. Choose 5GHz instead of no preference. Then click wireless mode. Try to match channel to router channel.

What is the speed?

Jack E/NJ

• Bekkerj
    Hi, I am attaching the screenshots.

Besides the speed issue, I also have a problem when trying to connect to example a LTE router. I have to change the settings in advanced everytime I want to connect to a different network type, i.e. fibre vs LTE, else it won't display the network as an option to connect to.

• JackE
    One thing at a time. Is 585 at 5GHz band? What's the Samsung or previous laptop at about the same time?

Jack E/NJ

• Bekkerj
    Yes, it is on 5ghz bnd. My Samsung S20 phone connects at 866 and Asus Vivobook also.
  • JackE
    What is speed on 2.4GHz band?

Jack E/NJ

• Bekkerj
    See attached
  • JackE
    OK. With both the ACER & ASUS machines set to "no preferred band" in Device Manager, go to the command prompt. Then ping your router's address from both machines. Please post screenshots of both results if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• beanerton
    beanerton Member Posts: 4 New User
    I just returned a brand new Aspire 515-15 laptop to Amazon. It was advertise on their site having an Intel card but came with a Mediatek card instead. Needless to say, it's garbage. Spent yesterday afternoon updating everything, changing my router settings, etc. My 5 year Aspire and phone have no problem connecting. Definitely a mediatek issue and since they haven't been able to release a fix for 3 months tells me there is a serious problem with this card. Works fine if I don't go beyond 12 feet from the router. Good job mediatek! I'll make sure my next laptop doesn't have their card in it. I assume this card is embedded in the motherboard so I wasted no time shipping it back. Acer wanted me to ship it to Canada. Yeah right....here's a solution.....stop using mediatek cards and if you do, test them to make sure the connection doesn't drop beyond 12 feet. My advice, return it if you can and get a refund. It's a shame, I did like the laptop. Intel probably had supply chain issues and Acer dumped this into the laptop as a workaround.
  • beanerton
    beanerton Member Posts: 4 New User
    As a follow-up, if you search around to other forums, you'll see more and more mediatek card problems being discussed. They obviously have a major problem with their most recent cards. With all the chip shortages and supply chain problems caused by Covid, I didn't want to take the chance on whether it can be fixed by a driver or not so it seemed a refund was my best option.
  • Bekkerj
    I have now realised that this is an actual serious problem, after looking at other posts regarding the same issue.
    Is there any immediate action from Acer on this? I need to have this resolved withion 2 days.
    I bought this product for specifically for the wifi capabilities as specified, but I actually have not received the 'product functionality' as specified and for which I had to pay for.
    I am currently sitting 1.5m from my router - my phone connects at 1.2Gbps on 5Ghz and my laptop connects at 144Mbps on 2.4Ghz (although I have configured the adapter for 5Ghz only).