no usb boot option aspire 5 515-43

devil666
devil666 Member Posts: 8 New User
A friend gave me an aspire 5 with windows 10. I hate it so I want to down-grade to win 7 but laptop says there is no usb boot option. what can i do?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Not recommended. This is not a straightforward process unless you are experienced with modifying the new UEFI bootstrap BIOS and using the command prompt to reconfigure the HDD's partitioning from GPT to MBR partitioning. Furthermore, Windows 7 will likely not have the all drivers necessary for a fully functional laptop since peripheral hardware was not even invented yet. Windows 7 is no longer supported so security and driver updates aren't possible. Windows 10 and its desktop can be easily set up to have almost the same look feel and function of Windows 7.

With that said, I can either walk you thru Windows 7 setup but cannot guarantee the machine will be fully functional after---or--- I can walk you thru setting up the Windows 10 desktop so it's similar to but not identical to Windows 7

Your choice.

Jack E/NJ

• devil666
    Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was on summer vacation (yes, without my computer). Yeah, it occured to me later on that 7 probably won't have the drivers. I guess I have to keep 10. The way it is set up is more for tablets, its all about apps. I am unable to install any of the programs I like because some s-mode that I know nothing about.
  • JackE
    You easily can switch out of the buy Microsoft Store apps mode by following these 3 steps. It's a one-way process. You'll be glad it is a one-way process. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @devil666,

What is the BIOS version?
  • JackE
    You easily can switch out of the buy Microsoft Store apps mode by following these 3 steps. It's a one-way process. You'll be glad it is a one-way process.

Jack E/NJ

• devil666
    version 1.07
  • devil666
    When I go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation  there is no  Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section
  • devil666
    I only see the upgrade section
  • JackE
    >>>I am unable to install any of the programs I like because some s-mode that I know nothing about.>>>>>>I only see the upgrade section>>>

That means it's not in S-mode. You have normal Win10 Home Premium. What programs can't you install.

Jack E/NJ

• devil666
    I can't install the drivers for my phone (motorola), win-to-flash, for starters. When i try that s-mode thing pops up requesting me to update ms store but won't actually do it when i try.
  • devil666
    I also have an acer desktop with the same problem
  • JackE
    Let's focus on the laptop for now. The Win10S seems corrupted. So let's try a factory Win10S. reset.  Then try to change it to normal Win10HP. A bit involved but follow these steps.

(1) Shut the machine down. Then turn it back on and immediately tap the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu.
    (2) In the BIOS Main tab, make sure the F12 and D2D options are turned on. 
    (3) In the BIOS Security tab. set a supervisor password. Then F10 to save settings and exit.
    (4) Shut the machine down again. Then turn it back on and immediately tap the F2 key to re-enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password.
    (5) Disable secure boot. F10 to save setting and exit.
    (6) Shut the machine down again. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key.
    (7) Follow directions for a full erase-everything ACER OEM factory reset.
    (8) After completion, follow switching out of Win10S mode again 
    (9) If it still fails, we can install the Microsoft generic Win10HP  version instead of the ACER OEM version.

Jack E/NJ

• devil666
    Did that but only the upgrade option is available. still no switch option
  • JackE
    Go to this link to create a Win10 Home Premium installation pendrive using Microsoft's USB media creation tool. Insert the USB drive. Turn the machine on and immediately tap the F12 key to boot from the USB drive. Follow directions to install a fresh copy of Win10 Home Premium.

Jack E/NJ