Aspire TC-875 NVME compatibility?

PDOUGKLEIN
PDOUGKLEIN Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

My old Gateway stopped working with the latest Windows update. I opened it up and found an Acer motherboard. So instead of buying a new mobo/processor/ram combo, I opted for a refurbished Acer Aspire TC-875 UR11, model D17E5 that I can't find ANY information for. Before I break the box open and void my warranty, I'd love to know a few things. I want to add an EVGA 600W power supply, but can't determine if there are any proprietary mobo connectors. From other posts here, it looks like there are, and I should buy the Acer 500W supply instead. It looks like I can probably install my GTX 1060 GPU, but it needs power, hence the new power supply (which may not be available in the Acer 500W). And I've tried to install an external SSD and run Windows from there - unsuccessful getting that to work so far, so was wondering if the mobo for this unit has a slot for an NVME drive. The BIOS lists one and says NOT INSTALLED or something, but I don't know if that means there's necessarily a physical connector. Other teardown videos show other motherboards in this series having a connector. And I figured by buying this refurb unit with the i3 10th generation chip, that I'd get a modern motherboard (I think it was built in 2020). Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I'd love some thoughts! Thank you.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @PDOUGKLEIN

In the search field at top of this page type "TC-875-UR11" you can see plenty of discussions here, so I am not going to repeat.

There is no doubt that this board will be compatible with gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD. Changing from a Gateway PC to a M.2 NVMe SSD will be a pleasure. You'll appreciate the speed of the new PC.

However, one thing to keep in mind is the motherboard will use 12 Volt only PSU, which is still hard to find other than Acer has some 500W PSU. Do not get a graphics card that demands more than 500W.
  • PDOUGKLEIN

Tinkerer

Thanks @ttttt. Since this computer seems to be a ghost for information, I'm returning it for an 895 where I saw a teardown video and installation of a SATA power adapter to power a GTX video card. Using the Newegg power calculator, it appears you can come in under the 300W the power supply provides (my card uses 120W), as long as I unplug the DVD drive. BTW, even Acer hasn't gotten back to me yet on whether or not my motherboard will support an NVME drive, though, like you, I believe it does. Thanks!
  • ttttt
    @PDOUGKLEIN

What? Returning it for an 895? I think TC-895 also uses 12 Volt only PSU type of motherboard.
  • PDOUGKLEIN

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    @ttttt,

Correct. However, as I mentioned, the 895 actually has a teardown video and shows that "yes" it has an NVME slot, and that, with a $4 adapter, you can power a GPU. This is my theory: the old specs that said you needed a 450w+ PSU to power a computer + good video card was based on old standards. With new energy efficient components, and using Newegg's power calculator, it appears I am at 288w with all my components AND my GPU that consumers 120w. I can't get Acer to give me specs on the motherboard for the 875, and there's no documentation anywhere about what's possible and not. It's likely I can do all the same things with the 875, but at this rate, I am willing to get the 895, preserve my warranty by not opening it up right away (because it comes with an NVME drive already), and  if graphics become a problem, add my GTX 1060 (and void my warranty). At least I know that it's possible now.
  • ttttt
    @PDOUGKLEIN

Sounds reasonable enough!
  • PDOUGKLEIN

Tinkerer

Thanks @ttttt. The video I referenced that talks about adding the GPU is here: https://youtu.be/6hBqwFTtvYY and the original teardown video is here: https://youtu.be/6Q18KvKpxdI

He shows a GTX 1660S which is more power hungry (and an 8-pin connector) and I have a GTX 1060 (and found a 6-pin adapter to SATA power on Amazon). So I'm thinking I'm even safer with my config. I appreciate your commentary.