Gx-785 won't boot from my ssd

MikeN12345
MikeN12345 Member Posts: 1 New User
So my acer aspire gx-785 came with a 250gb m.2... well that's about full. I recently built a new pc and I need the stuff on that drive in my new pc, but figured I would clone it to a larger 500gb sata ssd and put that back in the acer for my kids to use, so they have a little more room for games and stuff. I used AOMEI backupper to clone it... twice now... I just keep getting the "insert boot media" screen. It recognizes the new ssd in the bios under on board sata controllers, but when I select the boot device or boot order, my only options are: hard drive, removable drive, cd/dvdrom, and Lan. There's no option for a specific drive or "bootable drive"... in my other pc, both drives are identical as far as it looks like it was cloned properly but it will not boot in the acer. Any ideas?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    When you cloned the drive, did it clone all partitions or only the C: drive? With a UEFI boot system you need that little EFI partition in order for the drive to be bootable. You also need the drive to be in GPT mode, not MBR.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MikeN12345

You may also get to the BIOS and hit F9 (load optimize defaults) and F10 (save and exit) before booting from the new drive.