sepia tone - Aspire M3970

Sum25
Sum25 Member Posts: 7 New User
The monitor didn't show "Boot up" to "Windows log in" page. Once in, I can see windows desktop. That lasted 3 days.
Yesterday, the monitor showed sepia tone over the image.
I reinstalled graphics card driver. Then, reinstalled Win 10. It still shows sepia tone.
I checked cables.

I always hear fan noise when I open many tabs in Firefox with pictures or videos. It also make the same noise when I open Youtube page with chat. In that case, I close Firefox and open Chrome. No more fan noise.

I tried to chat and installed "Serial Number Detection Too" but serial # and SNID were "invalid."
I bought this Aspire M3970 Boxing day 2011.

Is the graphics card faulty?

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Please post a picture of the screen showing the issue. The Serial N umber Detection tool likely just doesn't know about machines this old, since they are very likely out of warranty. :) The fan noise is normal as the CPU heats up when working harder...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Please post a picture of the screen showing the issue. The Serial N umber Detection tool likely just doesn't know about machines this old, since they are very likely out of warranty. :) The fan noise is normal as the CPU heats up when working harder...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sum25
    I didn't know I could upload a pix.
    There was no fan noise in the beginning. It started to make noise last 3,4 years.
    Thank U for your reply.
  • Sum25
    When I boot up, I can't see boot up screen or Windows log in page, yet sepia tone in the monitor is gone. Is it a graphics card or a monitor fault?
  • billsey
    I'd lean toward cable myself, next would be the graphics card. The RGB is acting like Rgb. :(
  • Sum25
    I tested the cable and didn't find anything wrong or unusual. I also noticed the monitor is less brighter than before.
  • Sum25
    I just noticed that in a very bright picture or video, it blows highlight and shows sepia tone edge where contrast is high.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Have you eliminated the monitor by subbing or possibly hooking the computer to a desktop as it looks like some solarization that is caused by a bad/weak panel or a bad t-con within the monitor. It is also possible that when cleaning the monitor, some liquid has got inside the unit causing the connections to rust and decay. Windex is the biggest offender but excessive water can do the same.
    Is it possible to try a another monitor or try your monitor or another computer unit or hook to a TV. Good Luck. 
  • Sum25
    Skilled Fixer
    I just noticed power of monitor didn't come. Of course, I tried the cables including power code before. Anyway, I'm trying TV to connect.
    Thanks.
  • Sum25
    After confusing simptoms, it happened to be monitor fault. I replaced one. Many thanks to all of you, contributors.