Aspire A315-51-32HU How much RAM can I add?

THEUSERWHONEEDSHELP
THEUSERWHONEEDSHELP Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hy I live in Argentina and I bought an Acer Aspire A315-51-32HU.
S/N: NXGS5AL0097301B4AC7600
I have 4 GB ram, how much can I add?

Also, I would like to know if my laptop can connect a SSD.

Thank you!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,792 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can add up to an 8GB DDR4 2133MHz, 2400MHz or 2666MHz sodimm module for a total of 12GB with your 4GB soldered RAM. And you can also add up to a 2TB m.2 SSD SATA3 card and/or replace your 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD also up to 2TB. You have upgrade choices.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    It might. But its full capacity probably won't be recognized. You could be first to try it and report back with your successful results. Go for it!   :)

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The original specsheet for the a315-51 claims 12GB max as shown below. However, production changes are possible which I'm not privy to. So I still think you should go for it and report back on your success. But no guarantees or refunds from me if it only recognizes 12GB instead of 20GB. In fact, if you're game, you can go big and even try a 32GB sodimm. You could be a hero if it works.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The higher speed modules automatically downshift to the maximum frequency allowed by the mainboard PCIe bus, which in your case seems to be 1066MHz or effectively 2133MHz for double data rate (DDR) modules. You could even go to the 3200MHz but they'd still only run at 2133MHz allowed by the mainboard bus. So the name of the game is to get the least expensive most available modules. Probably 2400MHz these days. Crucial's are arguably top notch mostly Micron mfd modules and competitively priced with budget brands like Kingston.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• THEUSERWHONEEDSHELP

Tinkerer

So I cant edit again. I want to add that I run wmic in windows console command.
    This line:

wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices

The result is:
    MaxCapacity  MemoryDevices
    33554432     2

That means that I can add 28 GB of RAM?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can add up to an 8GB DDR4 2133MHz, 2400MHz or 2666MHz sodimm module for a total of 12GB with your 4GB soldered RAM. And you can also add up to a 2TB m.2 SSD SATA3 card and/or replace your 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD also up to 2TB. You have upgrade choices.

Jack E/NJ

• THEUSERWHONEEDSHELP

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Hy thanks for the reply, if I add 16 GB of RAM would that work?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    It might. But its full capacity probably won't be recognized. You could be first to try it and report back with your successful results. Go for it!   :)

Jack E/NJ

• THEUSERWHONEEDSHELP

Tinkerer

edited August 2021
    JackE said:

Many thanks Jack, for your answers. I dont wish to contradict you but there are other posts were people suggest to install 16 GB for a total of 20 GB.
    I guess as you say I can try.  Do you mean by any chance that my particular model doesnt support the 16 GB extra option, or does this rule apply to all a315?
    Look here:

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The original specsheet for the a315-51 claims 12GB max as shown below. However, production changes are possible which I'm not privy to. So I still think you should go for it and report back on your success. But no guarantees or refunds from me if it only recognizes 12GB instead of 20GB. In fact, if you're game, you can go big and even try a 32GB sodimm. You could be a hero if it works.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• THEUSERWHONEEDSHELP

Tinkerer

Good morning, I am convinced now that I should buy only 8 GB!!
    Now I have the problem that I dont know what to buy exactly.

If the 4 GB module I have now has a speed of 2133 mhz does that mean that the 8 GB module I should buy has to have the same speed?
    Jack you posted in your first answer that I could get 2133MHz, 2400MHz or 2666MHz.
    How would that work, 2 different speeds?

Is this module a good option for me then?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The higher speed modules automatically downshift to the maximum frequency allowed by the mainboard PCIe bus, which in your case seems to be 1066MHz or effectively 2133MHz for double data rate (DDR) modules. You could even go to the 3200MHz but they'd still only run at 2133MHz allowed by the mainboard bus. So the name of the game is to get the least expensive most available modules. Probably 2400MHz these days. Crucial's are arguably top notch mostly Micron mfd modules and competitively priced with budget brands like Kingston.

Jack E/NJ

• THEUSERWHONEEDSHELP

Tinkerer

Thank you Jack!