Acer Predator Orion 3000 RTX 2060 Question.

EireannGamingNetwork
EireannGamingNetwork Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hello Community,

I hope you can help me. I currently have one of those pre-built Predator Orion 3000 that came with an RTX 2060. Well I decided to upgrade to a 2070 Super Mini. Well because of that stupid metal housing for the hard drive it won't fit, the power lead is only slightly in the way but enough to where I can't insert the housing fully and close the case. Basically the width of the card is the problem. Another problem is I've sold my RTX 2060 that came with the machine. Are those cards custom just for these Orion machines? How would you even replace it if the card died? Can I purchase an Acer RTX 2070 to upgrade? I've looked through all RTX 2060 through 2070 Super and the width is all the same. I don't know what to do to be honest. 

Comments

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,464 Trailblazer
    Hello Community,

I hope you can help me. I currently have one of those pre-built Predator Orion 3000 that came with an RTX 2060. Well I decided to upgrade to a 2070 Super Mini. Well because of that stupid metal housing for the hard drive it won't fit, the power lead is only slightly in the way but enough to where I can't insert the housing fully and close the case. Basically the width of the card is the problem. Another problem is I've sold my RTX 2060 that came with the machine. Are those cards custom just for these Orion machines? How would you even replace it if the card died? Can I purchase an Acer RTX 2070 to upgrade? I've looked through all RTX 2060 through 2070 Super and the width is all the same. I don't know what to do to be honest. 
    Show us a caption of the >>> "Well because of that stupid metal housing for the hard drive it won't fit" as the only other alternative is to send this new "2070 Super Mini" back and get the OEM Acer card that fits, as the Predator Orion 3000 also came with an RTX-2070 or you can even go up to the latest RTX-3070, you have allot of options. Also, measure the exact space that you have and buy a GPU card that fits. 
  • EireannGamingNetwork
    StevenGen said:
    Hello Community,

Show us a caption of the >>> "Well because of that stupid metal housing for the hard drive it won't fit" as the only other alternative is to send this new "2070 Super Mini" back and get the OEM Acer card that fits, as the Predator Orion 3000 also came with an RTX-2070 or you can even go up to the latest RTX-3070, you have allot of options. Also, measure the exact space that you have and buy a GPU card that fits. 
    The problem is I can't find a card that is the same width as the one that was in there. I need either a 2060 or 2070 that is the same width as the one that was in there and I can't seem to find it - that is why I was asking does Acer custom make their video cards to fit into these pre-built cases? How would I go about ordering a replacement card from Acer? Surely they can't sell you a whole PC that becomes useless if you either get rid of the Graphics cards or it stops working. 
  • EireannGamingNetwork
    Here are some pics
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,464 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    StevenGen said:
    Hello Community,

The problem is I can't find a card that is the same width as the one that was in there. I need either a 2060 or 2070 that is the same width as the one that was in there and I can't seem to find it - that is why I was asking does Acer custom make their video cards to fit into these pre-built cases? How would I go about ordering a replacement card from Acer? Surely they can't sell you a whole PC that becomes useless if you either get rid of the Graphics cards or it stops working. 

Ok now that I've seen the exact problem "you really don't have a problem" leave the new card as it is as it fits! The power plug and the vertical panel of the case can be cut so that the power plug won't interfere with that part of the computer cases vertical component. You can also get a 90˚ plug with a flat cabling system or and if you want to go even more extreme then you can have the GPU's OEM power plug changed from the 90˚horizontal plug to a 90˚vertical plug that protrudes the other way so that you get more room but and for that you need a new plug and an experienced micro soldering technician to do this job "don't attempt to do it yourself' as you will stuff it up!

• The easiest way is to just cut a space into that vertical panel so that its wide enough to clear the plug and wires, if the side panel hits the plug then put a minimal bulge so that it clears the plug also, yes its a hassel but that is your only option. 
  • EireannGamingNetwork
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:
    Hello Community,

Ok now that I've seen the exact problem "you really don't have a problem" leave the new card as it is as it fits! The power plug and the vertical panel of the case can be cut so that the power plug won't interfere with that part of the computer cases vertical component. You can also get a 90˚ plug with a flat cabling system or and if you want to go even more extreme then you can have the GPU's OEM power plug changed from the 90˚horizontal plug to a 90˚vertical plug that protrudes the other way so that you get more room but and for that you need a new plug and an experienced micro soldering technician to do this job "don't attempt to do it yourself' as you will stuff it up!

• The easiest way is to just cut a space into that vertical panel so that its wide enough to clear the plug and wires, if the side panel hits the plug then put a minimal bulge so that it clears the plug also, yes its a hassel but that is your only option. 
    Hi Steven,

Thanks for the replay. I thought about cutting a space into the vertical housing but I just wasn't sure if I would make a balls of it. My only concern at the moment is the temperature. With the side of the case off the card is getting up to 85 degrees Cel. I'm going to leave the hard drive out, close the case and test the temp to see if the fans can do their job better with the case closed. 
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:
    Hello Community,

Here are some pics
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,453 Trailblazer
    Look for low profile cards and they'll fit fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.